Talk

Advanced search

Denmark/Sweden in the summer?

(13 Posts)
juneau Fri 23-Dec-16 17:26:43

We've got a wedding in Copenhagen in Aug 2017 and were thinking we'd make it part of our summer holiday. So does anyone know this part of the world well and if so, what would you recommend?

DH and I have been to Copenhagen a few times already and love it, but this time we'll have our two DSs with us - aged 9 and 6. DH and I went to the Viking Museum in Roskilde this year and thought it was fab and the sort of attraction our boys would enjoy. We like walks, beaches, lively cities, laid back beach towns, other families, culture, good food, theme parks - all the usual stuff really.

As for Sweden, I've never been. DH has been to Stockholm once, but that's it. Should we drive over to Sweden rather than stay in Denmark?

Any tips welcome smile

KeepCalm Tue 27-Dec-16 17:47:46

We did it and loved it! Stayed with the kids in a fantastic hostel in Copenhagen for a few days before taking the train into Sweden and staying on a brilliant farm in the south for the rest of the holiday. The family who own it are amazing and have two DSs as well. Able to tell you lots to do and places to go.

Loved it and would happily move there in a heartbeat!!!

Have a look at Urban House in Copenhagen - absolutely fantastic and the place we stayed near Ystad was Red Bird Farm.

Hope this helps smile

Have a

Wonderflonium Tue 27-Dec-16 17:50:42

Malmö and Lund are in easy reach of Copenhagen and they're well worth a look. (Stockholm is a bit of a trek)

KeepCalm Tue 27-Dec-16 19:14:48

We only visited Malmo quickly which was a shame. Didn't make it to Lund. Always a good reason to go back!

voilets Sat 31-Dec-16 23:21:24

We had a week with teenagers in a house on a lake at end of train line in Stockholm. Stunning. Really beautiful.

Stockholm - was lively, interesting and lots to do.

We had teenagers. But know people who took kids and enjoyed.

AvonCallingBarksdale Sun 01-Jan-17 13:59:04

WE did this - Copenhagen 5 days then train to Malmo for 2 days, then a wedding then a week on the coast down south. It was a fabulous holiday. Do it!!

EvaSthlm Sun 01-Jan-17 20:06:29

I would have stayed in Denmark, the way you describe it.... (am Swedish).

OublietteBravo Sun 01-Jan-17 20:10:05

Go to Legoland (Billind) - train from Copenhagen to Vejle and then bus to Billund (or hire a car in Vejle). Stay in Lalandia (essentially the Danish version of Center Parcs). The Danish kids go back to school mid-August, so it should be reasonably quiet.

EvaSthlm Tue 03-Jan-17 06:19:50

If you want to drive over to Sweden, you might want to drive as far as Vitemölla. en.skanskalandskap.se/recreation-areas/vitemolla I've never been there but know those who have. Those I know have stayed at "STF Brantevik Råkulle Hostel".

Lund (Sweden) was nice when I visited, well-known for its university.

Nearby Malmoe is a formerly industrialized town that lost 28000 jobs in the 1990's but from what I read on the municipality homepage it's recouped and is now strongly connected to Copenhagen, people are commuting. It has its problems, for example a lot of antisemitism from what I read in the news. This is how I currently see Malmoe; from today's equivalent of the BBC, the SVT, a new phenomenon how to celebrate the New Year: www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/skane/raketkaos-har-blivit-tradition

juneau Tue 03-Jan-17 09:25:08

Fab tips - thank you!

I received my LP Denmark this week, and having gone through it with highlighter and sticky flags (yup, I'm a holiday-planning dork!), I think we'll aim to do a two-centre holiday. Probably Aarhus/Billund for about 5 days and Copenhagen/surroundings for another 5 days. We may take the train to Sweden for a day, but I think Denmark has plenty to keep us occupied and Sweden deserves its own trip another time.

Aguero16 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:00:45

Whatever you do, visit northern Sweden in the summer. An unheralded treasure.

pilou Fri 13-Jan-17 17:14:03

We had a blissful holiday in East Jutland last summer. We hired a summer house by the sea. Highly recommend it!

Artura Fri 13-Jan-17 22:27:19

Another vote for a summerhouse in Denmark. We've stayed in North Sealand twice now. Really easy to get there from Copenhagen, amazing beaches and forests. Used Airbnb for a couple of fab places to stay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now