Talk

Advanced search

Which resort in Majorca?

(10 Posts)
Aoibhe Sat 17-Dec-16 12:24:19

Apologies in advance for all the questions, and I'm sure this has been done to death but my brain is fried from researching Majorca. I love the look and appeal of Puerto Pollensa, but I worry it's maybe too quiet?
People rave about Alvor in the Algarve but it didn't appeal to me at all, and I worry the same about Majorca?

Basically, we are a family of 2 adults and 3 DC. We love:
- Scenery (mountains, country side to explore, coast). Lounging by a pool in a high rise complex is my idea of hell.
- A small town with cafes, shops, restaurants etc to walk around.
- The option to travel to larger towns/city

We would like a nice 2 bed apartment near a supermarket. Kids' pool, restaurant and mini market on site, the usual...

Should I avoid Alcudia? It comes up time and time again on all my searches.

I've checked the prices of flights and they are so expensive that I wonder if I might as well just book a package holiday with an agent?

Any advice or other recommendations for Majorca appreciated smile

No1HolidayPlanner Sat 17-Dec-16 13:54:58

I don't think Puerto Pollensa is too quiet.. It is very scenic, lovely beach, good restaurants.. Has a lovely feel to it all.. I would avoid Alcudia.. We are going to try Cala D'Or this year.. Beaches are small coves so will be busier.. I found a lovely private apt on a small complex called Cala Dorada which seems to tick my boxessmile

cornflowerblu Sat 17-Dec-16 15:37:29

Puerto Pollensa won't be too quiet at all, it has everything you are looking for, no high rises, great restaurants and bars, magnificent scenery, good shops and plenty to explore within a short drive. Alcudia isn't great based on what you are looking for but don't confuse it with Alcudia old town which is lovely.

cornflowerblu Sat 17-Dec-16 15:38:49

By the way, we also didn't rate Alvor, PP is nothing like it. I've travelled all over the world and PP is my most favourite place ever.

LillianGish Sat 17-Dec-16 15:53:47

Soller or the port (connected by tram) you can also get the steam train into Palma for a day out. Love Soller - it has a lovely daily market, feels like a proper town rather than a tourist resort. The little tramway into the port is great fun and it's surrounded by mountains so you get the best of both worlds.

notnowbernadette Sat 17-Dec-16 16:00:58

I agree that Puerto Pollensa should meet your needs. The coast and countryside are great and there's enough to do there. It is not dominated by high rise hotels either.

BagelGoesWalking Sat 17-Dec-16 16:05:12

Look at the thread "I have fallen in love with Mallorca" (don't know how to link on phone) in Shorthaul. Loads of info there.

Aoibhe Sat 17-Dec-16 16:07:22

Thank you all. Now the search for accommodation begins smile

Makemineacabsauv Tue 27-Dec-16 00:15:09

We didn't rate Puerto pollensa and I was really disappointed with it after rave reviews here and in else. I found it very pretentious and overpriced with man made beach and we said we'd never go back. Yes, some pretty views but nothing we haven't seen before and there were some amazing restaurants but they were so expensive. It was very touristy to us as well so not our cup of tea. Kids meals were double the price of other resorts just for an idea of price. Sorry - I know PP is a mumsnet favourite but there are nicer places to go.

kippersandcurtains Tue 27-Dec-16 00:22:15

I prefer Soller by far. The train to Palma as mentioned above is a day out in itself. Bars/restaurants/culture/shopping plus team to stylish harbour. Day trips on boat etc all at Soller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now