Talk

Advanced search

Two centre holiday with Rome

(17 Posts)
rookiemere Sat 17-Dec-16 08:31:33

Next October we are thinking of flying to Rome for a week , spending a couple of days sight seeing then combining it with somewhere relaxing. But where?
We will be with DS who will be 11 and ideally it would be within 2 hrs drive of Rome, in the countryside and have access to a heated pool.
Any suggestions please.

PoptartPoptart Thu 22-Dec-16 10:42:28

Watching with interest as we also have an 11 year old and are thinking the exact same holiday!

mummymeister Thu 22-Dec-16 12:11:04

We spent 5 days in Rome with our teens when they were about the same age and to be honest could have done with longer as there was a lot to see and do. just a bit worried that trying to 2 centre it might make it all feel a bit rushed. if you had 10 days then think this would work better.

80sWaistcoat Thu 22-Dec-16 12:19:59

i think longer in Rome would be better too. Then there's some lovely hill towns near by you could go to.

OllyBJolly Thu 22-Dec-16 12:30:09

Lots to do in Rome.

If you do want to go somewhere else what about Sorrento? Ferry over to Capri and also a visit to Pompeii, Vesuvius etc. 3 hours drive.

rookiemere Thu 22-Dec-16 21:21:31

Oh great some responses - thanks all.

We arent great city visitors so I know we wont see everything in Rome in a few days, but hopefully do the highlights. I have now found a return flight from Pisa so we will split our time between Tuscany and Rome.

rookiemere Sun 01-Jan-17 15:29:10

Change of plans. we are now flying into Naples and back from Rome and will split our time between the two. OllyBJolly or anyone else do you have any accommodation recommendations for Sorrento or that area please ?

SJane45S Mon 02-Jan-17 19:48:04

The Amalfi coast is gorgeous - Sorrento is a practical and easy to get to choice but it's over developed and there are (in my opinion having been a couple of times and travelled up the coast) nicer places. I'd recommend swapping Amalfi for Sorrento for a nicer experience!

FeckinCrutches Mon 02-Jan-17 19:50:55

Sorrento or Positano for sure!

rookiemere Mon 02-Jan-17 20:47:29

I have been reading another thread about Sorrento so I am thinking Positano. Are the major tourist attractions like Pompeii and Capri doable from the Amalfi coast and whereabouts is good ?

Bobbybobbins Mon 02-Jan-17 20:51:03

Yep, Capri and Pompeii very do-able from the Amalfi Coast. I loved Pompeii in particular.

Bobbybobbins Mon 02-Jan-17 20:51:28

Going up Vesuvius is also very cool!

rookiemere Mon 02-Jan-17 22:17:25

now just trying to find accomodation looks nice

rookiemere Tue 03-Jan-17 11:15:04

Is it worth hiring a car or is it better to use trains when in position or sorrento ?

SJane45S Tue 03-Jan-17 11:34:58

Personally I'd train (and bus) it. There are frequent services and you can book the train element in advance really cheaply online. The coastal roads offer some dramatic scenery but they're a bit hairy! Sorrento is better for public transport than Positano (but that personally is about all its got going for it!)

rookiemere Tue 03-Jan-17 16:29:16

Thanks Sjane. DH likes "exciting driving" so I suspect we'll end up hiring a car anyway unfortunately.

Bobbybobbins Tue 03-Jan-17 17:23:31

We used the train and bus and both services were excellent. Sounds fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now