Talk

Advanced search

Amsterdam

(14 Posts)
Lovelybangers Thu 15-Dec-16 12:42:26

Me and DH have a few days planned in Amsterdam in April - flights were a bargain!

Any recommendations for hotels ? I have looked on booking.com et al - but they do seem quite pricey.

My issue is that I don't know which is the best area to stay -having only ever been for a day trip.

Any tips welcomed.

thanks.

Wolpertinger Thu 15-Dec-16 12:50:04

It is really pricy. DH and I decided that if we ever went again we would stay in the Hague (much nicer) and go in on the train. We stayed near the Rijkmuseum. Hotel was OK and really convenient but desperately overpriced compared to the rest of Holland.

Lovelybangers Thu 15-Dec-16 13:01:23

Thanks for the prompt reply Wolpertinger

We can afford to pay for a nice place for a treat - but I'm just umm 'careful' with my cash.. so if I can find a slightly less spendy place I am happy. spend more on wine and food then

I like your idea of staying in the Hague and using the train. We are actually spending two days out of our four in Delft meeting up with family members - the hotels look much better value there.

I have found a website with some more 'budget' hotels - which look central so I'll keep a-searching.

Wolpertinger Thu 15-Dec-16 20:45:23

If you want to spend on wine and food then Johannes is amazing. One of the best meals I've ever had.

I'd suggest avoiding the red light area at all costs - it's just so noisy, full of stag dos and depressing.

We also got the tram to Scheveningen when we stayed in the Hague and went to Seinpost. Totally destroyed our budget but food was divine.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 15-Dec-16 20:48:29

A friend of mine stayed in a canal boat hotel. Really enjoyed it.

Purpleprickles Thu 15-Dec-16 20:53:19

The Dutch trains are brilliant, it's so easy to travel around by train. My brother lives near Amsterdam and I'm always amazed at how great the trains are. It would be really easy to travel around from The Hague. Delft is really pretty too.

goldangel Fri 16-Dec-16 15:15:18

DH and I recently stayed at The Grand Amrath
http://www.amrathamsterdam.com/en/default.html which is very central, big grand hotel, we walked everywhere, lovely spa with pool, jacuzzi etc and a free mini bar. Massages were great! We got a great deal with hotels.com. Ask for a higher floor room.

I would also highly recommend booking a table at mo mo one evening, the only time we took a taxi, absolutely beautiful food http://www.momo-amsterdam.com

Enjoy!

Celticlassie Fri 16-Dec-16 15:18:17

We stayed in the Room Mate Aitana which was quite reasonable and near Centraal. There were some great deals on Air b&b too, which is probably what I'll do if I go back.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Fri 16-Dec-16 15:46:15

DP and I stayed in the Doubletree Hilton right next to the station and tram stops. It's also by the main canal drop off for tourist trips and 10 minute walk to Dam square.

It was pretty reasonable for Amsterdam prices, (we went in February) booked on Hotels.com. And it was really lovely.

But have you thought on Airbnb op? You can rent a houseboat which I think we'll do next....

Lovelybangers Fri 16-Dec-16 16:49:01

Some good tips there - thanks all.

i think we must be going at a pricey time! It's the week after Easter - but I guess is still holiday time for some.

purpleprincess24 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:55:13

Look at AirBNB last time we went we rented a gorgeous apartment right in the city centre for a lot less than staying in a hotel

GinasGirl Fri 16-Dec-16 17:57:16

I lived in The Hague for ten years and it's really lovely, so easy to get into Amsterdam, which for me was always a bit crazy - and really easy too from Centraal.
You'll love Delft, we did a canal trip with the in laws and it was really nice!

OnyK Fri 16-Dec-16 19:50:02

We stayed at The Grand Amrath too, on a discounted rate and then got upgraded as it was our anniversary...the rooms have a free mini bar!

Bijouxxx Fri 16-Dec-16 19:53:22

Last time we went we stayed at the Meininger City West hotel. It was basic but very clean and was a 2 minute walk from Sloterdijk train station which was 6 minutes on the train to centraal, and there were at least 8 an hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now