Talk

Advanced search

lanzarote christmas 2017, advice needed

(11 Posts)
lizandlulu Mon 28-Nov-16 10:42:44

hi, we are thinking of going to lanzarote next christmas, first time away at christmas time. kids would be 12 and 6. what i need to know is, if its not warm enough for the pool/sea, is there anything else to do?
im looking specifically at the iberostat lanzarote park, looks a good hotel, but is there anything else around it?
thanks

salsamad Mon 28-Nov-16 10:49:29

I've been to Lanzarote twice but in June, so can't really comment on what the weather might be like. We loved it and we visited Timanfaya National Park in our hire car. Everyone parks on arrival and is taken around on a bus/coach and its guided tour round a volcano etc.

lizandlulu Mon 28-Nov-16 10:56:15

oh yes i didnt think about hiring a car, yes we could do that. is it a big island?
spose i could google this but would rather have a personal opinion

salsamad Mon 28-Nov-16 11:12:08

It's not huge but some areas are more easily accessible than others due to mountainous areas. We liked to drive around to different beaches eg Playa Blanca, Peurto del Carmen, Costa Teguise (Blue Flag beaches. If you want something more beautiful then try Papagayo (a collection of coves in the South of island with better weather) or Famara (north of island so would be cooler in winter months but miles of sand so good for kite surfing). You can also visit The Cactus Garden or Guinate Tropical Park and Penguin Paradise (we didn't visit these places though). Easy to drive round, road signage is good and we didn't get lost at all.

salsamad Mon 28-Nov-16 11:27:52

We stayed in Puerto Calero nr to Puerto del Carmen (lovely place with stunning harbour but not too busy). The hotel your looking at is in Playa Blanca in the south of the island - lovely sandy beaches and plenty going on. Papagayo beaches are here but the road leading to them are awful, you have to drive very slowly and avoid all the rocks and numerous pot holes - there's a small entrance fee and parking, no parasols or beds on any of the beaches as its totally unspoilt. Some of the coves are less accessible - you need to be able to able bodied to get down to the sand and would be impossible with a pushchair. They are stunning though.

lizandlulu Mon 28-Nov-16 11:39:14

thats great, thank you for that.
we would only be stauying for 4 nights so it does sound like we could fill the days if it wasnt overly warm.

mouldycheesefan Tue 29-Nov-16 11:52:12

If you are going at Christmas check that places are going to be open. We really liked lanzarote we hired a car and there was plenty to see, but over Xmas places may be closed?

lovelyupnorth Tue 29-Nov-16 13:31:34

february it wasn't warm and car is a great advantage found some great little villages away from the touristy crap

BarbaraofSeville Tue 29-Nov-16 14:11:53

There are some caves to visit, which aren't affected by the weather. Also if you were there on the evening of the 5th January (not sure what dates you are looking at or when school hols are) that is the night of the Three Kings, which is very big in Spain - there will be a parade with the 3 kings in camels and sweets thrown out to the crowd.

smilingmind Wed 30-Nov-16 16:55:45

I went in October and was hot enough to swim.
My sister went at Christmas and it was also but do check average temperatures.
I have been told that the weather is much the same all year round.
The volcano is amazing. Highly recommend you take the children there.

NicknameUsed Wed 30-Nov-16 18:58:48

"I have been told that the weather is much the same all year round."

It isn't at all. We first went to Lanzarote one March and enjoyed temperatures of 22/23 degrees. The next time was February half term and we reached the dizzy heights of 18 degrees - too cold for the pool or a dip in the sea, and at night we had to have the heating on because it was so cold.

There were fans in the apartment, clearly for the warmer weather in summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now