Talk

Advanced search

Liguria or Algarve. Anyone got any tips for either?

(19 Posts)
Finelinebetweenchaos Sat 12-Nov-16 20:32:00

I am feeling the need to have a holiday to look forward to!! Thinking of going to either Liguria in italy or the Algarve in Portugal instead of our "usual" holiday of Pollensa in Majorca.

We have 2 small DCs (age 4 & 1) and like chilled out towns with nice beaches and great (local) food and wine.

Anyone got any tips for holidays in either of these places? Would you recommend them for a family holiday?

Thank you!!

dreamingofsun Sun 13-Nov-16 09:33:18

we have enjoyed lagos, and cabanas. alvor looked nice. if you pick your spot carefully you can walk to about 4 different beaches in lagos (maybe too far for a 4 year old though and some have steep steps). east algarve has warm sea, but its colder and rougher in the west

dreamingofsun Sun 13-Nov-16 09:37:52

there'a another resort further on from lago - praia de luz i think it is which is flatter with a beach thats sheltered. I imagine that would be a good bet if you have young kids - though we didn't like it as much as lagos, or cabanas (cabanas you go across the harbour in a tiny boat to get to a lovely beach with not much there but miles of sand.....this may suit you or not)

Costacoffeeplease Sun 13-Nov-16 09:38:01

I live in Carvoeiro in the Algarve, smallish, sandy town beach with larger ones nearby, lots of choice of apartments and villas, and restaurants - happy to answer any questions

Finelinebetweenchaos Sun 13-Nov-16 09:49:38

Thank you both so much! I will look into the places you have mentioned.

Our ideal day would probably be exploring and having a mooch around a (preferably pretty) town in the morning, 'maybe going to a market and having a coffee. Back for lunch and a swim / snooze and then head to the beach late afternoon when the sun is less strong. Then in the evening put the kids in the buggy and walk along - preferably somewhere by the sea - to have a glass of wine and some sort of delicious seafood. Does that sound like something we could do in the places you have mentioned?

I really hate places that are full of Irish pubs, loads of rowdy clubs, strip malls and no character.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 13-Nov-16 09:54:48

That's pretty much what we used to do when we came here on holiday smile

There is a thread on Carvoeiro in short haul, I started it at the beginning of summer 2015 I think - it might give you an idea of what it's like as lots of people who've been here added their opinions and tips

From June to sept there is usually live music or some sort of entertainment on the square by the beach, and lots of families end up there after dinner for an ice cream/nightcap and to see what's going on, it's a really nice atmosphere

Joneseygirl77 Sun 13-Nov-16 16:55:05

Sorry OP to hijack your thread but I was hoping for some advice on Carvoeiro from Costa. Do you know what the Monte Santo resort is like Costa? We've been to Carvoeiro before and really like it but have usually stayed at the other end of town near Vale de Centianes. Just fancy a change and want sc too but in a modern nice apartment with good facilities.

OP the algarve is lovely for little ones- great beaches and I'd recommend Carvoeiro.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 13-Nov-16 17:10:23

I haven't been inside monte santo, as it's gated, but I hear it's nice - the restaurant is expensive but obviously you don't have to eat there smile

Joneseygirl77 Sun 13-Nov-16 21:11:12

Thanks Costa. Have you got any other suggestions for good places to stay in Carvoeiro? We're after a 2 bed modern ish apartment. Again sorry OP- hope this is helping you too!

Costacoffeeplease Sun 13-Nov-16 21:17:31

Do you want to be within walking distance of the beach?

The Pedra Grande apartments are quite nice, only the ground floor ones have two bathrooms though, and walking distance of Centeanes beach and the restaurants around Rocha Brava

The monte dourado apartments are nice, most have been nicely renovated with new bathrooms/aircon etc and some first floor apartments have roof terraces - walking distance of the village

Colina Verde, next to monte dourado so also walking distance of the village, and quite modern. There are some apartments and some townhouses

There are two fairly recent developments, Villas Mourim near Solferias, so also within walking distance, I don't know what the apartments are like inside and

Polaris, which is a bit further out, on the verge of walking distance to the village, again, I haven't been inside these but they were built quite recently

Let me know what you think?

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 16-Nov-16 19:50:03

No worries Jonsey, and thank you Costa! All very helpful!

I need to do a sort of googling! Too much choice isn't there!? Total first world problem!

Anyone have any thoughts on italy too?
Liguria or maybe Puglia?!

newbiz Sat 19-Nov-16 16:08:11

I've not been to Liguria but we were totally underwhelmed by the Algarve. We stayed in Lagos, the beach is nice but the sea is rough and freezing. As a town it's not a patch on Pollensa and neither is the food. We visited Alvor too, again, fine-ish but not Mallorca nice. We love a potter about, think Pollensa old town, Soller, Palma and some outstanding food plus picture pretty villages and we couldn't find it in the Algarve, I think we have been spoilt by Mallorca.

newbiz Sat 19-Nov-16 16:09:31

I've been to Monte Santo too as we had freeness staying there. It's nice, nice apartments, nice pools but a good drive to anywhere

Costacoffeeplease Sat 19-Nov-16 16:29:47

Actually, monte santo is within walking distance of the village, beach, restaurants, I live right by it

Boogers Sat 19-Nov-16 16:35:27

Liguria is lovely but it was 20 years ago that I went, and it was May so nice and warm but not too uncomfortable. You must have pesto when you're there.

Wizardinthegarden Sun 20-Nov-16 18:00:54

Costa..how much of a walk is monte santo to the beach and the village? I have been looking at this resort for next year. We will get a car for travelling further afield but would hate to need to drive every day. I was in Caraveiro a few years ago and it seemed quite busy.

For those of you who have been to Pollensa I'd be interested in self catering accommodation recommendation...sorry op

Costacoffeeplease Sun 20-Nov-16 18:09:07

If you use the back gate, it's about 10-15 minutes from there - uphill coming back but you can stroll down and get a taxi home!

justaweeone Wed 23-Nov-16 09:09:41

We stayed here in Lagos a few year ago. Ideal location, apartment was spotless and the owners live in the complex and are very welcoming.
We really enjoyed Lagos.

justaweeone Wed 23-Nov-16 09:09:56

Link!
https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8079509

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now