Talk

Advanced search

Lisbon over New Year

(8 Posts)
FleshEmoji Thu 10-Nov-16 17:08:17

Any tips for Lisbon? We're there 4 nights over New Year. Two couples, my DH and I are very foodie, my husband & our friends love the historical stuff, I like quirky shopping, we all love games and "activities" (e.g. we geocache as a team & play board games).

FleshEmoji Sat 12-Nov-16 12:09:54

Anyone?

Costacoffeeplease Sat 12-Nov-16 12:34:35

Lisbon is great, very compact and with good public transport (trams and underground). Go out to Belem for the monastery, the descobrimentos monument, and the famous pastéis de nata (custard tarts)

Go up to the alfama district for fado, and the quaint cobbled streets, then the castle at the top (it's quite a climb so comfy shoes are a must)

You can go to Sintra by train, lots of history and architecture there

The city itself is full of little streets with quirky, independent shops, fascinating to just wander round, and the food is great. There will probably be a fireworks display on New Year's Eve, and the Portuguese tradition is that you eat 12 raisins at midnight, for luck in each month of the coming year

The hop on hop off tourist buses are a good way to get your bearings, and pass the gulbenkian museum and the aquarium

I love Lisbon, it's a really friendly city (I live in the Algarve so it's relatively nearby for us!)

FleshEmoji Sun 13-Nov-16 08:35:49

Thank you, some lovely tips there. We love out of town trips so Sintra is on the list.

And will buy 48 raisins :-)

Costacoffeeplease Sun 13-Nov-16 08:54:58

If you're in a restaurant on New Year's Eve they usually put plates of raisins on the tables - they do down here anyway!

Teds77 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:49:57

A ride on the no. 28 tram is great, there are also a couple of other old funiculars and an old lift which is a great way to view the city. We went to the Aquarium for the kids but if you have never been to a really big one before it is great - me and DH loved it too.

FleshEmoji Tue 22-Nov-16 06:01:48

Thanks for the tram recommendation, we wanted to ride one but didn't have any particular one in mind.

spababe Tue 06-Dec-16 17:19:29

Tram 28 was great but the pickpockets get on and off all the time so keep your valuables very close. We called out 6 separate pickpockets in one ride!
Tours with a local do foodie tours well worth a look. We had a private introduction to Lisbon tour and it was 30 euros for the tour (not each)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now