Talk

Advanced search

Sunny in December

(12 Posts)
artisanroast Sun 30-Oct-16 16:18:41

Hi,

Looking for somewhere that is sunny in December (20 degrees C or higher) but ideally no more than a 3 hour travel time as we are going with a 15 month old.

Any ideas are welcomed

Thanks

xx

AnyFucker Sun 30-Oct-16 16:28:58

If you are in the uk you will probably have to go 4 hours flight time for reliable sun

Canary Islands your best. Or Cyprus.

You could take a risk on somewhere like mainland Spain (Benidorm and Costa Del Sol have good sunshine records) but not so guaranteed. Possibly Portugal. I wouldn't in December though....not if you want 20deg +

NicknameUsed Mon 31-Oct-16 06:51:51

I'm with Any on this. You might get the odd day when the thermometer hovers about 20 degrees if you holiday within three hours of the UK, but it isn't guaranteed. You might get a week of rain.

Warmer climes are a 4 hour+ flight away.

Dowser Fri 11-Nov-16 20:43:08

Just booked 2 weeks in Tenerife today. It's worth flying to hat bit extra for a lot more sun.
Can't believe I got flights for £45 return ;-)

baconandeggies Mon 14-Nov-16 21:11:48

YY to the Canaries... Gutted we can't use our Dec holiday week this year - forecast says it's going to be 22C and sunny. If you can bear a 4hr flight we've got it on eBay smile

Sparkletastic Mon 14-Nov-16 21:15:33

Canaries. We go every other Christmas and never been short of sunshine.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 14-Nov-16 21:20:14

Well, you can't guarantee it, but we've got 25 here in the Algarve at the moment, and for the last couple of weeks. The forecast looks fairly settled too smile

Ostrobogulous Mon 14-Nov-16 21:22:35

I agree with those saying Canaries. You'll get some good sunshine there.

Portugal can be nice in December but could also be chilly and windy. If you do decide to go to Portugal definitely go to the Algarve not the west coast.

If you choose Tenerife, anywhere north of Teide can be cloudy and cooler in December. You're better going to the south or west.

Ostrobogulous Mon 14-Nov-16 21:24:33

xposted with Costa the Algarve expert. Thanks to some of your posts Costa we visited Carvoeiro a few weeks ago! smile

Costacoffeeplease Mon 14-Nov-16 21:25:19

smile

Did you enjoy it?

Ostrobogulous Mon 14-Nov-16 21:29:04

Yes Costa, very much! I'd seen some of your posts on threads about the Algarve and did a bit of online research and then booked a few nights at Rocha Brava. We then had a few nights near Vilamoura too. I loved Carvoeiro town, it felt more authentic than some places I've visited before. It was out of the busiest season, so I guess we probably visited at the best time. The weather was lovely too. So thanks for all your posts about it, they were helpful! Sorry for the thread hijack artisanroast smile

Costacoffeeplease Mon 14-Nov-16 21:32:51

Glad to have helped!

Rocha Brava was where we stayed on our very first holiday here in 1988!! I had no idea we'd end up living here - but when we left, after just a week, I knew it wasn't the last time we'd be here grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now