Talk

Advanced search

Cyprus, Malta or Canary Islands?

(10 Posts)
Fairybells Fri 28-Oct-16 15:26:36

We weren't supposed to go anywhere this Christmas but decided now last minute we should just go! So we are thinking about a week before Christmas; we've got a 3 year old and by then 9 month old baby. We've never been in any of these locations so can anyone recommend which one would be the best in December? We don't need hot weather but we'd like warmish and mainly dry weather. We wanted a skiing holiday but the prices are astronomical confused. Alternatively city breaks with kids? We just want to go somewhere, anywhere!

dreamingofsun Fri 28-Oct-16 16:44:49

ive been to the last 2, but not at christmas. have you started looking for accommodation and flights yet as you might find it very booked up - winter is canaries busiest time and also i think cyprus. you might be best looking at all of them and finding which offering you like best. if you want to swim you will need a heated pool in the canaries.

barcelona was good for a city break and they had bars in traffic free zones and also quite a lot of things for kids, eg parks acquarium, beach

Coconutty Fri 28-Oct-16 16:49:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fairybells Fri 28-Oct-16 17:02:05

Yes I had a look and all 3 seems to still have rooms available. I can't really tell any difference between the lot to be honest. If Canary Islands have the most reliable weather I think that's where we might go then. I'm going to check prices for Barcelona first though!

dreamingofsun Fri 28-Oct-16 18:58:18

canaries are very arid. mountains with no grass or trees. lanzarote we have been to playa blanca and peurto del carmen both of which are good (old town of the latter). teguise doesn't sound so good but might be ok at a pinch - not been there. gran canaria - peurto de mogan good, mespaloma visited fleeting and the front is nice. tenerife - costa adecie sounds good though havent been there yet. malta - again arid, silema - can get into the capital which is good. barcelona is nicer in that its not arrid, but the weather won't be so good. you will have to accept a certain amount of 'english breakfast' cyndrome in the other countries - but for us its not a show stopper.

specialsubject Fri 28-Oct-16 20:52:25

Plenty of grass and trees in parts of the canary islands!!

dreamingofsun Sat 29-Oct-16 19:49:06

yes but probably not the areas that have decent weather in december?

Fredmitten Sun 30-Oct-16 14:04:16

What do you want to spend your time away doing? Do you want a hotel - if so big or small? Of self catering? Lively resort or low key?

INeedNewShoes Sun 30-Oct-16 14:09:45

Playa blanca (Lanzarote) has a nice relaxed feel, appealing more to the retired than clubbers (which to me is a good thing!).

I really didn't like Puerto del Carmen and wouldn't go back.

Morgan on Gran Canaria was lovely when I went but it's getting on for twenty years ago!

Weather in the Canaries can be pretty good in December.

mymilkshakes00 Sun 30-Oct-16 14:20:52

I lived in Cyprus for a couple of years and it's not great this time of year.
I think the Canary Islands may be better suited especially with the dc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now