Talk

Advanced search

Normandy in August - freezing?

(22 Posts)
Missanneshirley Wed 26-Oct-16 20:05:29

I've found a campsite i really like the look of, but would like some warmth too - what are my chances? Trip advisor mentions rain a lot!

ImpYCelyn Wed 26-Oct-16 20:10:51

Well this summer we had two weeks around 35* and the rest in the high 20s. Our friends from Marseille came and complained it was too hot hmm

The weather is like the south of England, but with fewer days of rain, although about the same rainfall - it comes down harder when it does. You get great summers, and some years it's crap. This year it was genuinely hotter than the south for a few days...

Certainly not freezing though.

Missanneshirley Wed 26-Oct-16 23:46:33

Oh thank you!
Yes I suppose my worry is that it's not as reliable as further south - but it could be glorious. Hmmmmmm!
Do you live there?

BackforGood Wed 26-Oct-16 23:58:14

Well, it's a few miles South of the South coast of the UK.

You could get glorious sunshine, but you could get two weeks of rain like we did.

Thing being, there is LOADS to do if the weather is bad.

BackforGood Wed 26-Oct-16 23:58:33

Well, it's a few miles South of the South coast of the UK.

You could get glorious sunshine, but you could get two weeks of rain like we did.

Thing being, there is LOADS to do if the weather is bad.

ImpYCelyn Thu 27-Oct-16 08:04:33

Yeah, some years a couple of weeks of rain is a possibility. Which is the difference between here and further south. But in those years you'd have to be a decent way south of Brittany to get good weather. If we're drowning they normally are too. (I know you didn't suggest Brittany as an alternative, but for picturing it on a map...)

Lots and lots to do in the rain though smile

Missanneshirley Thu 27-Oct-16 22:59:34

Oh goodness I don't know if I could face a rainy holiday - this is our first holiday in many years and the pressure is immense ! We have a large for us, but not large when you come to look at holidays for 4 in school hol's, amount of money put away. Can't afford, and can't really face, eg a week in a Spanish resort. Eurocamp type hols appeal for budget reasons and also for possibility to explore local areas. We camp in the UK so happy with a campsite type set up. But there are SO MANY!
I've also lpoked at flying into la rochelle and exploring that area, it might be better weather wise?

meatloaf Thu 27-Oct-16 23:04:32

I camp a lot and went to Normandy a couple of years back in Aug. Pissed down the entire time and cold, not freezing just cold (I have a fan heater for my tent).

Went to La Rochelle too once in early Sept when DD was a toddler and it was so hot that we had to drive around for a couple of hours in the middle to the day to get out of the heat. She's 8 now, so prob would be ok with the heat.

Mondaynightblues Fri 28-Oct-16 00:09:50

As a PP has said, Normandy's climate is similar to that of the south of England. So, like the south of England, glorious sunny weather is possible in August, but it is by no means guaranteed. If you are booking a holiday in Normandy, you do need to think seriously about whether you will still enjoy your holiday if you get quite a few rainy days.

Normandy144 Fri 28-Oct-16 00:17:15

We went to Normandy last August for a week. It was sunny on the day we arrived, the penultimate day of the holiday and the day we left. We went really to explore the WW2 history so sunbathing was not our concern but trudging through soggy graveyards was so bearing if nothing else. I would add they actually have postcards the poke fun at the fact that Normandy is known for rain....think a map of France covered in little suns and dark grey clouds over Normandy with raindrops! Even the French know the weather is crap there!

frenchfancy Sat 29-Oct-16 07:17:13

La rochelle and the nearby Vendee area get much better weather than Normandy. The French joke about how it always rains in Normandy, where as the La Rochelle micro climate gets its own little area on the weather maps.

You don't have to fly if you don't want to, 3 hours drive from St Malo.

Footle Sat 29-Oct-16 08:10:54

I would run a mile from planning a holiday under "immense pressure". Have a break nearer home and go abroad some other time, maybe at short notice.

OldLagNewName Sat 29-Oct-16 15:22:42

Another vote for Vendee or south of that for much more reliable weather but not usually too hot. Poitou-Charente is also great for that. We drive down via Eurotunnel and do an overnight stop in a budget hotel somewhere like Le Mans or Rouen. Much cheaper than flying, especially if you will want to hire a car. And you can bring lots of wine home (not much wine grown in Normandy. Although the Calvados is good!)

Missanneshirley Sat 29-Oct-16 20:32:56

Oh the pressure is all self inflicted! It's just that we can't normally afford a holiday at all, never mind abroad, so this is a great treat.
3 hrs from St malo to la rochelle isn't bad . For us it's the other end that's the problem, coming from Scotland

starsinyourpies Sun 30-Oct-16 19:50:10

I think it's a high risk location if you're after warmth, the vendee is a good bet.

Missanneshirley Tue 01-Nov-16 22:54:13

Thank you! I'm starting to edge south in my Campsite searches!

FusionChefGeoff Tue 01-Nov-16 22:58:41

Exact same dilemma last week. Decided to suck up the longer drive and have gone ferry to St Malo then 3.5 hrs to Vendee. Hoping that overall it's worth it for 2 weeks as a wet holiday would not be much fun with 2 under 5!

beatricequimby Wed 02-Nov-16 22:59:47

How about Ryanair flights to Carcassonne from Glasgow. Then hire a car. Maybe glamp to cut down on stuff to take on the plane. Weather is fab.

JellyWitch Wed 02-Nov-16 23:05:14

Carcassone is August will be really hot - too hot for me (we went in early May at it was hitting 35 degrees).

Normandy is lovely - plenty to see and do even if the weather is grey. Definitely head south of the Loire if you want to guarantee sun worshiping though.

Missanneshirley Thu 03-Nov-16 21:33:50

There's too much choice!
Easy jet flights are out now so could book gla - Gatwick then gatwick - la rochelle

Hmmmmmmmm

beatricequimby Thu 03-Nov-16 22:09:15

We went to Carcassonne in the Scottish school holidays, end of June and it was never that hot, 22-30, although 30 is hot enough for us.

frenchfancy Fri 04-Nov-16 06:03:48

Flybe fly direct to La Rochelle from Edinburgh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now