We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Paris - Will I like it?

(35 Posts)
RebelSoldier Fri 14-Oct-16 14:49:05

I'm off next week (no kids!).

I'm worried for some reason.

Can anyone please give any advice?

I am happy to potter and loiter and people watch.

I'm not too bothered about the Notre Dame etc apart from a cursory glance.

I'm happy to see some of the museums.

Oh, I'm not sure why I'm worried

wigglesrock Fri 14-Oct-16 21:26:55

I went for the first time about five years ago - I loved it from the first step. I don't know why exactly, I know some people who are a bit underwhelmed, don't get the attraction but I loved it. I've been four times since. We don't do that much, mooch about the parks, have a drink, have some coffee, do some more mooching. We use the Metro a lot when we're there, I've found it a very easy city to get about.

Improvisingnow Fri 14-Oct-16 23:12:22

You'll love it! Apart from London it is one of the few cities in the world I'd like to live in and it is great for just wandering around looking at stuff. Get a good guidebook and just walk around and take the metro (much more tourist friendly than the tube - you just travel in the direction of the station at the end of the line rather than needing to know if you are travelling North or South etc). Buy a book (carnet) of tickets from the machine - it's cheaper if you are going to use the metro a lot.

Lots of fabulous places to see but especially good to walk around are the Ile de la Cite and the area around Sacre Coeur where lots of artists set up stands.

I went to this restaurant as an impoverished student many years ago and always go back when I go to Paris. Dirt cheap, superb atmosphere and decent cafe standard food.

Haven't been for a couple of years, but now I really want to go!

DanyellasDonkey Fri 14-Oct-16 23:15:58

I've been once and hated it. It's the only city break I've been on that I didn't like. I couldn't cope with the vastness of it and the huge open spaces. I also found it difficult to find anywhere that served decent, reasonably priced food.

I seem to be in the minority though as everyone else I know has loved it.

NicknameUsed Fri 14-Oct-16 23:55:38

I've been a few times and it is one of my least favourite cities. On more than one occasion I felt threatened and unsafe. The last time I was there a riot broke out near our hostel and some of the rioters came inside and scared some of the guests. Luckily we had been moved up a couple of floors due to being double booked.

SJane45S Sun 16-Oct-16 19:18:50

I've been going to Paris on and off for 25 years and while its not my favourite European city, it's one of them! Honestly there isn't anything to worry about! Like London there are really rough ugly areas but unless you head for them, you're purposefully, you're unlikely to see them. Personally, I'd probably steer clear of Pigalle at night (it's a bit seedy). It's a really attractive city - there's lots to see & the food and shopping are great!

SJane45S Sun 16-Oct-16 19:20:06

Head for them purposefully was what I meant to write!

RebelSoldier Sun 16-Oct-16 21:15:23

Thanks for messages!

Actually Nickname used if probably enjoy a riot! (If nobody was hurt of course).

I have been looking up some hipster and alternative guides for Paris and feel a bit better.

And thanks Improvising for the restaurant recommendation.

I'm sure I will love it. I just want lots of cobbles and French people sounding sophisticated!

I think I'll get a novel set in Paris to get me in the mood.

If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them. I've looked at the usual stuff so anything less well known or tips would be great.

Anyway even if I don't LOVE Paris I still have to go there and try it once.

RebelSoldier Sun 16-Oct-16 21:16:00

*Actually Nickname, I'd probably enjoy a riot.

NicknameUsed Sun 16-Oct-16 21:17:14

We were terrified. It was Bastille Day and things had got out of hand.

RebelSoldier Mon 17-Oct-16 08:17:22

I didn't meant to make like if your experience, of course it would be completely terrifying x

RebelSoldier Mon 17-Oct-16 10:04:05

Light*

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Mon 17-Oct-16 10:11:48

I think it is the only place I have been truly scared. A group of men in a car tried to drive into me and a friend and block our escape. They only left when a group of people appeared. I was a 40 something woman.

wholettooth Mon 17-Oct-16 10:22:14

I went last year and was blown away.
It's beautiful, you can walk everywhere (definitely comfy shoes needed), great places to eat & drink, and of course shopping.
I'd prioritise what sights I wanted to see rather than rush to do everything.
The Muse d'Orsay shouldn't be missed, the Eiffel tower is best seen from a distance IMO

DanyellasDonkey Mon 17-Oct-16 11:36:51

It's the only place I haven't felt safe in to be honest. On the first occasion we were waiting for the train to Eurodisney and a guy shuffled up to us, presumably wanting money. We ignored him but he wouldn't go away - even when we moved, he kept following us - very scary with 2 small children. Thankfully the train arrived soon after.

The second time, again waiting for a train - a guy reached down and tried to open the pocket on OH's cargo trousers. DD shouted "No" loudly at him and he ran off.

Wouldn't go back to Paris if you paid me

3Eggses Mon 17-Oct-16 11:54:37

It's ok. I've been twice. Once when I was 18 and once more recently. I wasn't there for long but saw all I wanted to see: Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Arc... Versailles is worth the trip if you have time.

RebelSoldier Mon 17-Oct-16 12:07:47

My god! When I said I was worried, I was worried about an empty touristy experience, not creepy people you lot have experienced! Oh dear. I'll pack pepper spray...

3Eggses, Versailles does look nice...

Thatwaslulu Mon 17-Oct-16 12:10:58

I loved it. I recommend visiting the Paris Opera House to tour it (not a performance necessarily as they are super expensive) as it has beautiful architecture and an interesting history. We also visited the Pere Lachaise cemetery for a free day out, lots of stunning headstones and whole host of famous people buried there. Monmartre is worth a visit too.

JackandDiane Mon 17-Oct-16 12:12:22

lol at not finding anything to eat in PARIS ffs

JackandDiane Mon 17-Oct-16 12:13:20

get a ticket for the batobus - Not a long tour but a hop on hop off affair
stops at all the things you need to see
www.batobus.com/en.html

SJane45S Mon 17-Oct-16 12:53:21

It's like any big city in Europe - can understand that a few of you have had bad experiences but I'm sure that the same can be said of London, Madrid, Berlin, New York etc. It's definetely no less safe than a trip to London IMO - I've definetely been to places I've felt a lot warier. A hop on hop off or boat trip are good ideas. And if you want a novel featuring Paris, 'A moveable feast' by Hemingway is great!

RebelSoldier Mon 17-Oct-16 13:51:37

Ooh SJane, yes that came up on my searches. I happen to have a David Sedaris "me talk pretty one day" on my shelf too so will also give that a try. I haven't read any Hemingway, I hope I take to his style, bit daunting beginning a big name like that.

RebelSoldier Mon 17-Oct-16 13:55:02

Thanks Jack, Batobus looks like a good idea.

Opera House sounds nice thatwaslulu although im not really an opera fiend so wouldn't appreciate it sadly. Cemetery sounds very worthwhile though!

JackandDiane Mon 17-Oct-16 13:57:19

ive been to the opera

it is amazing but tbh there are other landmarks to see.

Just do the batobus thing. Buy a paris visite card - we get ours at the Army museum thing ( napoleons tomb and lots to see at the Invalides) which saves you laods of money.
Dont bother with Montmatre its - average

LuchiMangsho Mon 17-Oct-16 13:57:32

Louvre is vast and can take several days. Musee d'Orsay is fabulous. Crossing the Pont Neuf and then walking to Notre Dame is always lovely. Walk through the Latin Quarter and the Marais if you can. You should ideally also walk down the Champs Elysee from the Arc, cliched as it might be, all the way to the Place de la Concorde. Paris has some stunning and beautiful gardens. And oh, the patisserie, oooofff- I eat a year's worth of sugar every time I am in Paris.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now