Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Destination for holiday with 3 year old - single parent

(12 Posts)
KeepItToYourselfPlease Fri 07-Oct-16 20:58:22

DS and I went to Copenhagen this summer. It was the BEST holiday! So much for toddlers to do, easy to get around, lovely weather and incredibly child friendly. We both absolutely loved it!

I'm looking for something similar for us next summer. Lots to keep him entertained, not too long flight time and hopefully okish weather.
I'm over the fear of travelling alone with DS now, and itching to have another lovely experience!

Any ideas gratefully received, I'm feeling adventurous now I've got one trip as a single mum under my belt!
TIA

Texfactor Fri 07-Oct-16 21:08:49

Thanks for the tip re Copenhagen!
What did you do there? Where did you stay?
I have a 3 year old too so I'm marking my place here but don't have any holiday recommendations cos we have only been to wales to see relatives (which was fab) & camping in sussex!

NattyTile Fri 07-Oct-16 21:18:13

Oslo?
Anywhere at all in Italy

Solasum Fri 07-Oct-16 21:20:24

I had a lovely time with my 2 year old in Paris in spring. Travelled around by river boat, Air bnb close to the river. Lots of playgrounds near big attractions and lots of carousels.

Teds77 Fri 07-Oct-16 21:28:38

We had a lovely week in Stockholm when DTs were three. Also loved Lisbon - went pre-kids and thought was nice but definitely 'improved' as a place to go when took kids. You can get train down coast to Cascais for the beach.

KeepItToYourselfPlease Fri 07-Oct-16 21:40:13

Honestly, I can't recommend Copenhagen enough!
There are fabulous, imaginative playgrounds everywhere you go, buy a Copenhagen card for unlimited public transport (which is incredibly clean and efficient) and reduced, often free entry to popular attractions.

We spent a day at Tivoli Gardens which was fantastic, just magical. With a Copenhagen Card you can revisit several times for free so going back in the evening to see the lights and some shows was wonderful.
We explored the old town of Nyhavn which was beautiful and had a lovely river tour.

Visited the brilliant Bla Planet Aquarium, spent a day at the beach, and explored the city centre.

There is also an apparently fantastic science museum especially for kids with lots of interactive exhibits, but it was unfortunately closed for refurb when we visited.

Loads of other attractions that we didn't get time to cover.

Will have a look into Italy, is there anywhere in particular you recommend?

Oo, Oslo- had not considered Norway...... Was thinking of Stockholm- anyone with any experience?

KeepItToYourselfPlease Fri 07-Oct-16 21:41:09

Cross posts Teds!

SJane45S Sun 09-Oct-16 22:48:31

We took our then 3 year old to Stockholm in October. We loved the city - it's a lot more attractive than I was expecting and easy to get around. In terms of child friendly places - I can't remember the name but there's a funfair/theme park place. We did a lot of walking and a boat trip - Stockholm is made up of a lot of small islands and doesn't feel overly built up. It was however expensive! Not as bad as Noway though which was painful - we didn't go to Oslo but Bergen. We went late August, it rained continuously and the temperature didn't get above 15 degrees! If it was me, Id go to Nice or Barcelona and rent an apartment.

Misty9 Sun 09-Oct-16 22:56:44

I'd recommend lake garda. We went this year with a 2 year old and 4 year old and highlights were:
- cable car up to mountains about halfway up the east side of the lake. Malcesine, that's it! Couldn't remember the name..
- golf buggy to get around Parc sigurta was the best fun.
- gelato to die for in sirmione and everywhere really!
- there's garda land theme park but mine don't like that kind of thing.
- we stayed in a campsite mobile home and it was great.

Also valencia is great for a city break. The science museum and imax cinema were appreciated but not so much the aquarium, which was the most expensive one of the three.

Dubrovnik? Probably affordable if just two of you and a beautiful city. Cable car again is fantastic.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sun 09-Oct-16 23:05:00

Gothenburg is also a great place to go. Cheap Ryanair, Liseberg fun park and the Universarium next door to it.

It's great at Christmas too as the Liseberg park has 1million lights. So beautiful.

CalebHadToSplit Sun 18-Dec-16 18:06:42

So pleased to hear your positive experience with Copenhagen- we've booked to go there next year with our 5 yr old!

So far, we have taken (and enjoyed) the following places with our youngster: Barcelona, Split, Münich and Salzburg. All toddler/small child friendly with great parks, museums and friendly people.

ThomasRichard Sun 18-Dec-16 18:12:09

Another vote for Stockholm. Stay at the STF Skeppsholmen youth hostel with a fantastic view over to the old city and get a Stockholm card for the aquarium, Skansen, boat trips and historic places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now