Talk

Advanced search

Wow - price increases - Easyjet

(12 Posts)
namechangedtoday15 Thu 06-Oct-16 12:57:39

So this morning, flights were released by Easyjet for May half term. I was on at about 9am and started booking flights. They were just over £700 when I chose the actual flights and clicked on "book now". By the time I'd entered the passenger details (5 - although just names so it was probably about a minute) and clicked on "pay", they'd gone up to £800. I've just been back on the check the route and they're £1208 for the same flights.

Is it me or is that just profiteering - I understand the economics of supply and demand, but once again, its taking advantage of people being forced to book in school holidays. Argggh!

lovelybangers Thu 06-Oct-16 12:59:59

I didn't think that the prices could increase while you were midway through the booking.

I can understand that they can change if you go away from the website and then check in again later?

Did you pay ?

namechangedtoday15 Thu 06-Oct-16 13:07:44

Yes, it did give you the choice of proceeding or not, but thought that was a bit off, especially as it wasn't a small amount!

Tuiles Thu 06-Oct-16 13:12:13

Have you tried using an incognito mode to look up prices? I've seen anecdotes that cookies on your computer let stores know if you have searched routes before (therefore are highly interested in booking) and this automatically bumps up the price. I've never actually experienced this, but just in case always use an incognito window to actually make a booking.

sugarmonster64 Thu 06-Oct-16 13:14:04

Delete your cookies and go back on and check prices again. We've had that a few times and go on a fresh computer and prices are back to original.

onemouseplace Thu 06-Oct-16 13:17:27

God, we booked with BA a couple of months back for May half term and I thought their prices were extortionate and flirted with the idea of waiting for the easyjet flights to come out. Really glad I didn't as I've just checked and the prices are coming up as over £1k return. EACH!

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 06-Oct-16 13:17:59

The more people that book then the price increases. So a new release of flights this morning would have had a lot of people booking hence the price increasing.

lovelybangers Thu 06-Oct-16 13:25:48

That's awful though OP.

If you had got so far in the booking process only to be told that the price had increased..

It's like going for a hair cut. on entry you are told that it will be £20 - then half way through they say 'oh the prices have gone up, it's going to be £30!'

namechangedtoday15 Thu 06-Oct-16 14:18:59

I understand that prices go up depending on demand, but it was the fact that I was in the booking process and they were still going up. I think (famous last words) that I've disabled the cookies so I don't think that was an issue!

mummymeister Fri 07-Oct-16 13:59:00

you have to disable the cookies every time you go on a website. EasyJet have a highly developed booking system which zones flights and the more sold the more expensive they become. they are a business and in the business to make a profit so they do it in the most profitable way. prices in 2017 will certainly be proportionally a lot higher than 2015 and 16 because of the holiday in term time ban. they are selling less flights at other times to families so need to up the price when they do sell to them to make up the short fall.

the disabling cookies is a right bore but does work/

namechangedtoday15 Fri 07-Oct-16 14:58:56

As I said up thread, I understand that, its just changing the price (by £80) once you've actually clicked "book" and are inputting the passenger names (which took about 30 seconds).

No1HolidayPlanner Fri 07-Oct-16 15:58:34

The May half term flights I booked to Lanzarote first thing Thurs morning for £900 are now£1800!!!! That's just greedy!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now