British Airways to ditch free food & drink

(22 Posts)
SoloD Wed 05-Oct-16 07:16:33

Easyjet style Buy on Board is coming to British Airways from January.

They are even going to charge for water.

According to British Airways this is based on Customer Feedback, apparently we all want to have to pay for water on baord.

Now BA have reduced the size of seats, cut Avios on cheapest tickets, stopped free baggage on their cheapest seats, what actually is the difference of BA vs the Low Cost Carrier (apart from their expensive tickets).

Very disappointing.

mouldycheesefan Thu 06-Oct-16 07:43:17

The food is rubbish in BA anyway, you were paying for it before as part of the ticket price. Now they will have M&s stuff which will be nicer.
To be honest I don't know what the difference is between BA and a low cost for short hops, possibly larger luggage allowance and more than one seat category? Different airports? Frequent flyer club? Lounges? Those may appeal to some people such as business travellers the majority want the cheapest ticket possible and BA have to compete with that.

MargoReadbetter Thu 06-Oct-16 07:49:48

BA has bigger space for your legs. I'm sure they'll add a few more rows shortly to squeeze a bit more out of passengers.

The food was ok when we flew short haul in August, though v basic.

I think it's sad we're getting used to crap all over.

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Oct-16 07:50:01

Frankly, the food on BA short haul has been so awful in economy the last 7 years that I really welcome this - there will be a choice and hopefully the coffee will be better. I'm coeliac, and haven't been able to eat anything on BA shorthaul since they stopped special meals years ago - at least on low cost I've been able to buy crisps or chocolate when desperate (and when you get up at 4am and won't be home till 11pm, no chance to stop for a meal due to flights and meetings, you are desperate!)

MargoReadbetter Thu 06-Oct-16 07:50:43

Do we all also want to pay to go to the loo? Or only for extra toilet paper?

MargoReadbetter Thu 06-Oct-16 07:53:08

CMOTDibbler - I find your approach yo this depressing. I think we'd all do better with a better service, including for coeliac, rather than a packet of crisps and a bag of nuts.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Thu 06-Oct-16 07:53:36

How much nosh do you need on the way to Majorca?

They must already have been trialling this to some extent because I flew BA from Italy-London in July and we only got a free drink. Lovely plane, great service, legroom a plenty, 23 kilo of luggage included and £60. Frankly, I don't mind going to a M/S Just Food prior to boarding for that!

elastamum Thu 06-Oct-16 07:56:40

The truth is that BA are no better than a low cost airline anyway. I fly a lot and always avoid them if I can. Most examples of terrible service I have had have been at the hands of BA.

MargoReadbetter Thu 06-Oct-16 08:06:14

Well, my kids do get hungry even on short haul. As we've probably left the house early, not had much to drink so as not to need the loo in the taxi, queued for ages at controls etc etc. By the time they're on the plane they are ready for food. I can buy stuff myself, of course. But we so readily accept more slipping of basic customer service and standards. In the hope it'll save a fiver.

mouldycheesefan Thu 06-Oct-16 08:44:58

Margo would you not eat breakfast in the airport though in those circumstances? Even if you bring it from home? Two hours in an airport with time to kill you surely eat then rather than say no kids, you have to wait for the crap onboard food because it's free

JassyRadlett Thu 06-Oct-16 08:49:51

CMOTDibbler - I find your approach yo this depressing. I think we'd all do better with a better service, including for coeliac, rather than a packet of crisps and a bag of nuts

Unfortunately people aren't willing to pay for the extra costs of that service, which has why BA has gone down this path.

If people truly wanted that they'd be willing to pay for it. Instead, they say it matters to them, but then they actually buy the no-frills option instead. Which is pretty common consumer behaviour,

Penfold007 Thu 06-Oct-16 08:50:33

BA has got markedly worse recently, becoming harder to justify flying with them.

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Oct-16 09:15:36

I've been a frequent flyer for 16 years though - and although its all for work I only ever get to be in the back of the plane. And I would rather just pay for what I need as it makes a big difference to how far my travel budget goes - and gives me more flexibility.

MargoReadbetter Thu 06-Oct-16 09:21:32

It's also the convenience of not packing even more stuff to then have a picnic in the airport. I don't know, I think it's just more civilised to be served on a plane. Next step, get rid of the flight attendants. Fly your own.

mouldycheesefan Thu 06-Oct-16 11:21:22

Margo do you really not eat breakfast in the airport you make your children wait for free plane food even though it's crap and they have been up early?

You will still be serve on the plane it's just now you pay as you go and have better food rather than crap food included in the ticket price. I personally think it's more civilised to have breakfast in a restaurant at the airport with an extensive menu than off a plastic tray on the plane with no choice of menu! But each to their own.

fridgecake Thu 06-Oct-16 11:25:39

Those saying you have a choice - the choice now is a beef sandwich or a cheese ploughmans. Whoop de doo.

MargoReadbetter Thu 06-Oct-16 17:52:36

Mouldycheesefan - no, I hate my children like that. I starve them for the freebies on the plane, yeah. I don't call the airport restaurant being civilised, but each to their own. We don't usually have time though we have time to grab an overpriced bottle of water and whatever else from Boots. The return airports cafes can be shut for the night and then you're really stuffed. Larnaca e.g. Or Heraklions offering of a FILTHY McDonalds. But yes, judge away and wait for your gourmet meals cos it's not going to be the lowest possible quality like everywhere else where these 'services' have been outsourced.

mouldycheesefan Thu 06-Oct-16 18:42:20

There will not be gourmet meals, It's snacks from marks and spencer.
I find the airport lounges are a good option for kids they can have a bit more space and some things to do.

INeedNewShoes Thu 06-Oct-16 18:49:34

I switched my loyalty to Easy jet years ago. Customer service number better then BA, and I've always been satisfied with the reliability of the flights.

The last BA flight I took I paid for a £200 ticket only to find the flight operated by 'jettime' on a tiny plane that had the least leg room I've ever experienced.

I flew Easyjet on Tuesday on a newly fitted out plane. They've slimmed down the backs of the seats which gives a feeling of more space and still perfectly comfortable.

I'm happy to pick up an m&s sandwich in the airport so I'm not too fussed by the lack of 'free' food.

MargoReadbetter Thu 06-Oct-16 21:22:27

Sure, we can pick our own sandwich from the airport, take home our own rubbish, squeeze in the seats to get a full flavour of each others' BO, print our own tickets etc etc. Race to the bottom. Holiday travel used to be nice.

MargoReadbetter Thu 06-Oct-16 21:25:07

Oh, I agree about customer service being appalling at times, though. DH got downgraded due to overbooking on a flight to somewhere in Africa (so quite long), suck it up, moron was more or less what was expected. He arrived tired and pissed off.

Madbengalmum Fri 07-Oct-16 21:02:05

The food in economy was crap anyways.
And Ba might as well be a low cost airline these days. I always avoid them, even business class is poor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now