Talk

Advanced search

French campsite with a town/village within walking distance?

(15 Posts)
Missanneshirley Mon 03-Oct-16 14:51:14

I'm trying to book a Canvas/ Yelloh type thing for next year - hopefully one where fly drive is possible, but the main requirement for me is being able to stroll, or even cycle at a push, out if the site to somewhere with more restaurants, shops etc. Kids will be 9 and 6 so not a massive long walk either.
We have stayed in bella italia previously and that access to peschiera was ideal, but that was in October when it was nice and quiet - this time we have to go in August when I believe lake garda is mobbed?
Just don't want to be trapped on site - any suggestions? Thanks!

Missanneshirley Mon 03-Oct-16 18:06:58

Thinking maybe ile de re?

manzilkid Mon 03-Oct-16 18:12:47

We have stayed at La Croix du Vieux Pont campsite a couple of times, the town is within walking distance as is the supermarket.

Missanneshirley Mon 03-Oct-16 18:47:27

Thank you will look that up!

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 03-Oct-16 18:51:24

Indigo lac de. Carcan is lovely. On a lake so easy to cool off, in a pine forest for shade, on site mini supermarket and bread a pastry in the morning and maubuisson is a short cycle for bars, restaurants, excellent ice cream etc. Coast easy to cycle or drive to.

Radyward Mon 03-Oct-16 21:26:21

Indigo sarlat in the dordogne

Camping la siesta in salou

Camping bibione in Italy

Missanneshirley Mon 03-Oct-16 21:30:05

Thank you!
Hadn't known of the indigo brand before so will take a closer look - did you just book directly with them?

Makemineacabsauv Mon 03-Oct-16 21:33:42

We stayed at camping le Bois si valmarie in Argejes Sur mer a few years ago. Campsite was lovely (but a bit hilly!) with a fab pool which had amazing views. There are bars, shops and restaurants right next to the campsite but you can walk through the marina area to the main tourist area but we usually went to the marina as it was beautiful with great restaurants etc and plenty of wee shops/stalls to buy things from. Lots of great trips to do too. We flew to Perpignan and a taxi was only €50 although you could get the train. We stayed a night in Perpignan which we really enjoyed.,

Heratnumber7 Mon 03-Oct-16 21:35:34

Camping le Paradis in the Dordogne. Toilets so clean you can eat off the floor in there. Fantastic campsite for DCs

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 03-Oct-16 21:39:44

la grande mataire/bretagne. village & beach within walking distance. lovely site

Yelloh village les Mouettes is a great campsite and Carantec is a beautiful town. 10 minutes drive from Roscoff ferry too. Canvas don't do it any more but you can get it with Eurocamp or vacanasoleil, or obviously book direct. I worked a season on that site with Canvas when I had my mid life crisis travelling stint and the restaurants and bakeries in Carantec are amazing, some of the best and cheapest anywhere I've been. There is an artisan chocolatier in town too. Great for walking, fab beaches, easy drive to great markets, morlaix etc.

nulgirl Mon 03-Oct-16 21:49:31

Port de Plaisance in Benodet in south Brittany. Another Yelloh suggestion. It's a 5 min walk outside of town and the campsite and Benodet itself are lovely. Would definitely recommend.

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 03-Oct-16 21:50:10

Missanne yes we booked direct with indigo. We had one of the wood and canvass tents with a loo and shower in, it was brilliant. Didn't book cleaning or anything just swept out the sand and wiped the loo seat and job done, got our security deposit back.

I'd love to go to the sarlat one too and their noirmoutier ones look beautiful.

Middleoftheroad Mon 03-Oct-16 21:51:24

Argeles Sur Mer. Camping le pins

Missanneshirley Tue 04-Oct-16 17:49:52

You are all wonderful (and there go my chances of getting any work done tonight ha ha!)
Lots to look at, I really appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now