Talk

Advanced search

Cologne and Christmas markets- Anyone been ?

(8 Posts)
habibihabibi Fri 23-Sep-16 13:17:32

Looking to do a few days mid December in Cologne and /or surrounding towns/ villages on route to the UK from the ME.
We would fly KLM to Amsterdam and then train down.
Where would be be a good place to stay with 2 little children ?

Allinafankle Fri 23-Sep-16 18:50:06

I don't have children but I've been to the markets in Cologne many times and be warned, they normally get insanely busy and the crowds might be a bit much for little ones, and a pushchair (if you're still using one!) could be tricky too. Having said that they are great fun so don't let me put you off, just be aware.

habibihabibi Fri 23-Sep-16 20:51:55

Thanks

habibihabibi Fri 23-Sep-16 20:54:42

They are not tiny at 5 and 6 but will struggle if it is manic .They are not used to crowds .

CotswoldStrife Fri 23-Sep-16 21:00:55

We went to Cologne years ago and it was very busy - there are four markets, the one outside the Cathedral is the busiest at night. The others are not quite as bad, but they are pretty crowded. Lovely though!

We stayed at a hotel opposite the cathedral, can't remember the name either - sorry! Gluhwein is strong!

LittleMoonbuggy Fri 23-Sep-16 21:09:46

We went a few yeas ago and loved it. Stayed at the Novotel as they allowed 2 kids in a room, plus free kids breakfast as not many hotels did. It was near the river and easy walking distance to the market at chocolate museum, you could catch the road train from there to the other markets.

We coped fine with 5 month old in buggy and DC age almost 3 walking. Was less crowded during the day and we went very early Dec, would be more crowded in the evenings or later into December.

welshbeach101 Sat 24-Sep-16 19:42:54

We went last year with a 6 and 8 year old, we stayed in the Hilton as they could do interconnecting rooms and offered a great deal, I think one of the rooms was half price. The rooms were not huge, but big enough. It is also walking distance from the train station, we got the train from the airport. Very close to the cathedral too. As others have said, the markets can be very crowded, we noticed it was not quite as busy on the Friday as it was at the weekend. Our kids liked it, especially the little fairground rides, the food and the lights.

habibihabibi Tue 27-Sep-16 03:46:13

Thank you . Booked and counting down to Christmas market fun .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now