Talk

Advanced search

Rome

(9 Posts)
Mama1980 Sat 27-Aug-16 08:02:09

Have just booked a 3 week holiday staying right in the centre of Rome for next spring I've been myself before but have my 4 children (18,8,3 and 2) with me this time. Any personal recommendations of restaurants, places to go would be great please smile
Thanks

SienaSun Sat 27-Aug-16 08:22:29

I took my son to the kids museum when he was 2 and he loved it. It's near to the villa Borghese which is a great park. Rome's zoo is also in that park. It's supposed to be a good zoo but I've never been.

Amalfimamma Sat 27-Aug-16 08:22:57

I would advise you use Rome as a base to see the region and surrounding areas.

Lazio is lovely, and depending on how things go, could do with some tourism. You could visit Tivoli and it's gardens, ostia and the beach, cassino. You could take the train, or trenitalia freccia or the Italo (usually costs less and is cleaner) to see bologna, firenze, Venice, salerno and napoli (be careful here) Milan is also doable using this option.

Have a list of restaurants which are worth their salt but I wanted to ask if you're staying in a hotel or an Apartment? That way I can advise for takeout or not.

Heathen4Hire Sat 27-Aug-16 08:24:48

DH's Aunt lives about an hour from Central Rome with her Italian husband. Get a rental car and explore, the countryside is truly amazing.

Mama1980 Sat 27-Aug-16 08:34:45

Thanks everyone smile
Amalfimamma, we're staying in a hotel. So will be eating out for all meals except breakfast smile
I'd love to drive but here I drive a specially adapted car (partial paralysis) so will have to use public transport.
Have made a note of tivoli and Ostia to looks at thanks. We will be going down to Naples to visit Pompeii Herculaneum and Vesuvius at some point.

Amalfimamma Sat 27-Aug-16 15:58:18

Mama.

Perfect. Is there anything you'd not like to eat so I can get up a list of restaurants and maybe the dishes that I'd recommend for each one?

I'd advise doing Pompei and Vesuvius on 2 seperate days especially if using public transport which isn't all that great in Italy in general and worse the further South you go. Vesuvius is quite a climb and I found it hard going so I don't know how you'd find it seeing as you have partial paralysis. In Pompei I would also advise a visit to the Shrine of the Virgin of the Rosary of Pompei which is spectacular.

Depending on the weather you could take the kids to the beach for the day, either in Gaeta or Ostia both are nice. I would advise against driving as it's not for the weak hearted LOL

I don't know what you usually do for lunch but heading to the local suermarket and getting some bread and hams could be an option for lunch so that you're not in restaurants every single day (and much cheaper)

mummymeister Sat 27-Aug-16 16:54:11

we went to ostia by train and spent all day there. hope you are self catering as much easier than hotel.

Mama1980 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:52:55

Hi thanks everyone
Amalfimamma, I'm vegetarian (know how tricky this can be lol so no need to recommend based on that) my children will eat anything and are all pretty adventurous smile
Thanks for the tip about Vesuvius I wasn't planning to climb myself I did once long ago but my eldest wants to and will take ds1 they climbed Ben Nevis last year so thinking if memory serves its not so hard compared to that? Will look at taking a couple of days down there maybe. And we love looking round churches so will definitely put that on the to see list smile

Amalfimamma Sat 27-Aug-16 21:01:39

There are quite a few good vegetarian restaurants in Rome, have asked a friend who lives there to ask around and get some more info on prices ett.

I wouldn't recommend ethnic restaurants because I find they are so different from home, not as good and more expensive than a good pizza.

If you take a couple of days down this way let me know, I'll try to come and meet you with the car so getting about is easier for you all. Plus if you come down this way remember that the Veiled Christ , San Gregorio and duomo in napoli are well worth the visit (use the trip to San Gregorio as an excuse to buy some handmade crib figures)

If they've done Ben nevischio I don't think vesuvius would be a problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now