Talk

Advanced search

Beach Holiday in December

(11 Posts)
justaweeone Thu 25-Aug-16 13:19:51

Hi
We didn't manage to go abroad this summer so looking to go away for a week to 10 days ideally before Christmas.
Any suggestions, ideally short haul, villa based holiday?

ApocalypseSlough Thu 25-Aug-16 13:25:30

What do you define as short haul? No where in Europe will be beach sunny. Are you looking to avoid the cost or the time of flying long haul?

justaweeone Thu 25-Aug-16 13:45:30

By short haul probably no more than 6 hours
It might only be a week so though long haul would be a trek for only a week, although once you are in the air it probably doesn't matter loads
Wondered about grand canaria or Tenerife but not sure as never visited before

MummaGiles Thu 25-Aug-16 13:47:08

We are doing the canaries in end of Nov/start of Dec. It will be fine for a beach holiday weather wise. I also looked at Cape Verde (seas very choppy and dangerous for children) and Madeira (no beaches!).

MummaGiles Thu 25-Aug-16 13:48:36

If you do the canaries just steer clear of the main resort towns which are a bit naff. So playa del ingles in grab canaria and playa de las Americas in Tenerife. I don't know Tenerife but I can recommend maspalomas in gran canaria.

mouldycheesefan Thu 25-Aug-16 18:29:17

Dubai?

exLtEveDallas Thu 25-Aug-16 18:35:56

We are going back to Egypt this December. Temps will be 25-30 during the day, colder at night. Heated pools in resort, colder (but not freezing) sea. Flight is 5 hrs. AI rather than villa but large hotel complexes with huge rooms make up for it (plus tourism is down by half - no Russians, few Germans. Mainly English and Dutch now)

We are off to Makadi Bay (30 mins from Hurghada) which is a small 'fishing village' with a central madinet. We had a look at it when we were in Hurghada this summer and think it's lovely.

justaweeone Thu 25-Aug-16 21:51:27

Thanks so far for suggestions, not that bothered about going to the beach but more it has a holiday vibe and I do like to look at the sea!!
Dd 18 doesn't really like sand- been like that since she was 3!hmm

justaweeone Sat 27-Aug-16 17:22:24

Bump

CheeseEloise1 Sun 28-Aug-16 23:10:50

We loved Club Med in Agadir, Morocco. Great climate at that time of the year and a very civilised beach. We did not feel at all harassed like we did in Marrakesh. Very tight security as Moroccan family have a house and go there often. The Sofitel there looked good as well.

Muddle2000 Sun 28-Aug-16 23:51:56

Agadir has longer days of actual sunshine than the Canaries at that time of year.
In the Canaries the sun goes in about 4pm ish . Obviously it is still warm
but it can get quite windy and you need tracksuit/jeans/cardie etc in the
evening.
Gran Canaria is best avoided Apart from Maspalomas it is concrete tourism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now