Anyone know about Fuerteventura? Anywhere else?

(13 Posts)
Lizzylou Tue 23-Aug-16 19:20:19

Am looking at next years holiday, myself, dh and two boys who will be 13 and 11.
We were in Corsica/Sardinia area this year SC and the boys got a bit bored and DH got too warm (I bloody loved it). We have had a variety of holidays that we have all loved, Eurocamp in France/Spain, Neilsson in Greece and AI in lovely hotel in Caribbean (a one off, was spendy but for a V good reason).
Anyway, we loved these because there was so much to do, and lots of sporting activities for us all. DH and DC like watersports, I like tennis and gym/classes and reading the rest of the day. We like being able to walk into a local port/town and exploring the local area.
Is Fuerteventura a possibility (I know a few people who have gone and loved it and have always fancied it)? Any recommendations?

mouldycheesefan Thu 25-Aug-16 13:10:39

Hi, we too have enjoyed Eurocamp, neilsons and Caribbean over the years so I think I get your holiday vibe!
I have been to Fuerteventura and probably wouldn't go back I am afraid. Doubtless you can find a good hotel with some watersports, I think there are parts of the island that are good for wind surfing and kite surfing. When we went we did a fly and flop type of holiday with the kids. Lovely hotel but there just isn't much to do on the island. We hired a car and went to the unesco world heritage site village etc but most of the island is barren wasteland.
I actually prefer lanzarote. Lava fields of timanfaya are well worth a look, the artistic locations of cesar manrique including his amazing house and various places he was connected with (compatriot of Picasso) just feels like it's a bit more cultural and we did visit some unique places over the course of a week, again hired a car.
Never been to Tenerife or gram canaria so can't comment. But Fuerteventura is fine for a hotel holiday with some watersports thrown in but not much else there at all. That may be just what you want!

Lizzylou Fri 26-Aug-16 14:55:56

Ooh thankyou!
Will have a look at Lanzarote, nice to find a holiday twin grin

emmaSmith35 Fri 26-Aug-16 14:58:59

Found it boring, nothing there (except lots of sunbathing over 70s)

Go to lanzarote or Tenerife

yumscrumfatbum Fri 26-Aug-16 15:02:24

I agree very much a sunbathing holiday and very little else going on, it's very windy too. Gran Canaria has a similar vibe

overthehillandroundthemountain Fri 26-Aug-16 15:04:24

I was pleasantly surprised by Tenerife. Thought it would be a sunbathing-only holiday but there was a lot to do. A decent hotel helped hugely, but the highlight was going in a submarine (a real one! Under the sea!) and doing the volcano in the cable car. A lot of fun!

mumgointhroughtorture Fri 26-Aug-16 15:06:22

I went to Fuertaventura and I love it but not sure about if I was taking my kids. Theres a water park and boat trips , an animal park . The dunes are up in Correlego in the North of the island so you get the quad bikes erc but they do coach trips up there and to the Volcanoes in Lanzarote by ferry. I stayed in Caleta De Fuste which is in the middle and quite touristy (Costa Caleta was our hotel and it was immaculate! The hotel was cleaned every day from top to bottom)
I wouldn't go to the south of the Island someone on our plane home said they went south and every 5 or 10 mile you would see a tree or a camel but that was it , total dessert .
If you want a fun filled holiday It probably isn't the best place.

MoonHare Fri 26-Aug-16 15:06:52

Went once a long time ago but my lasting impression was that it's barren and very windy - the name of the island says it all. Great for wind surfing though. Not much there to explore and the resort we were in was souless and unfinished - might be nicer now.

TheFairyCaravan Fri 26-Aug-16 15:08:05

DH and I went here in Fuerteventura in April/May. I can not recommend it enough. We absolutely loved it.

We never got off our backsides, I'm disabled and DH helps me, but there was so much to do if you wanted to. The food was better than an other AI we've been too.

Lizzylou Fri 26-Aug-16 20:17:50

Well, after reading your posts, I was dead against it but Fairy's hotel looks fab confused

lovelybangers Sun 28-Aug-16 07:21:45

I have been to Fuerteventura 3 times - and very much enjoyed it.

I wouldn't choose it for active kids though - as I don't think there would be enough to do for them.

Lanzarote and Tenerife have more going on.

Kirriemuir Sun 28-Aug-16 09:00:09

We did 2 weeks at magic life mentioned above.

We had a great time. Tonnes of activities for kids including teens. It's very much a sports and fitness type of hotel. DS was barely seen due to kids clubs. Literally if we let him he'd have been there 12 hours a day. Great gym for DH, fitness classes, water sports, tennis etc etc.

Probably the best all inclusive we've ever been to. Properly AI, no extra for room safe, big bottles of water free. Properly AI and we've never found one to match since. Food was good and great cava!

The only thing that stops a return visit is that the hotel is an hour from the airport which once we've driven to our uk airport, flown and then transferred it's a long way - we only do one week holidays now.

Kirriemuir Sun 28-Aug-16 09:01:10

If magic life was at the airport end of the island we'd definitely go back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now