Talk

Advanced search

Airline broke my pram 😫

(10 Posts)
Elliott2014 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:47:47

Hi

Has anyone had a broken pram when travelling? I got off my flight today and my bugaboo bee 3 is totally broken! The footrest is twisted in the opposite direction meaning the pram can't open at all. Also lots of marks on the framework. I've got a damage report and been told I have to claim from the airline so called them earlier and was told they will email me within the next hour.....no email arrived. Called them and offices are closed until Monday....great no pram all weekend. My flight was with monarch airline but it's another company that deal with damaged luggage?

Any advice on how long it can take to sort? Also do they offer you a temporary pram until it's sorted?

Any advice or information would be great! Xx

HeadDreamer Fri 19-Aug-16 21:19:44

The airline broke our Maclaren quest. It was years ago but they have no problem repairing it. They took it away via a courier, and it was sent to some official Maclaren repairer. However they only fixed one problem on the first attempt (the broken hood). It has to be sent back to fix the broken wheel. It took over a month, at least. However we also have a bugaboo chameleon so wasn't without a pram.

They were very courteous throughout and never tried to wriggle out of fixing it.

imsorryiasked Sat 20-Aug-16 07:40:35

Would you be able to claim on your travel insurance (as you need a pram now rather than next week / next month)?

Elliott2014 Sat 20-Aug-16 09:00:22

Had a look at my travel insurance and you can only claim up to £250 for one item! Crap I know. my mum has a spare pram for when she has Elliott, so lucky I have that until things are sorted. Total nightmare, just glad it happened on the way home as we couldn't of coped while away without it.

WeAreEternal Sat 20-Aug-16 09:12:40

It was a few years ago now but my bugaboo chameleon was broken beyond repair on a British airways flight, it was a faff (they insisted on sending it off for repair multiple times) but eventually they replaced it.
I've known several others who've had similar problems and the airlines have always fixed or replaced the pushchairs.

AliceMum09 Sat 20-Aug-16 23:22:59

If you're going to take a fancy pram abroad you need to put it in a travel bag and check it in as oversized baggage. If you take it to the gate and just leave it there to be thrown in the hold you're asking for trouble! I know your pram shouldn't be damaged, but in reality no baggage handler is going to treat it properly angry

Last time we flew we checked our Maclaren in as oversized baggage at Heathrow in a travel bag. Got it back from the luggage belt at Palma no problem. Another family had taken their big two-piece fold I-Candy pram to the plane doors, it was returned to them broken - something had been snapped off and the seat unit would no longer attach to the chassis.

Travel with cheap prams!

HeadDreamer Sun 21-Aug-16 07:21:07

It depends on the airline how they handle prams. Mine was damaged in a travel bag. After that I never took a buggy bag again! And it came back everytime fine. And many airlines will give back at the gate, instead of luggage belt. I think it really is down to luck.

AliceMum09 Sun 21-Aug-16 08:55:18

The broken I-candy pram was brought back to the planes doors. It was a British Airways flight, it seems to be the 'cheaper' airlines (I say 'cheaper' because those BA flights cost £900 for 5 of us whereas Jet2/Easyjet etc wanted £1,800!) that put prams with the rest of the luggage on the carousel.

capet Fri 26-Aug-16 21:46:06

I had part of an uppababy vista broken when travelling with airtransat. Luckily was on way home otherwise would have been really stuck.
We complained/sent pictures of damage etc and they replaced the broken part without much hassle

SolomanDaisy Fri 26-Aug-16 21:59:19

My future recommendation is a quinny zapp with travel bag, most airlines
let you take it on as hand luggage! Though we got one cheap second hand specifically for traveling and just started leaving it at the gate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now