Talk

Advanced search

Menorca

(11 Posts)
thatsthewayitgoes Wed 17-Aug-16 20:51:07

We are going to menorca with 2 kids. Any tips of must do things/ places to go/restaurants to try? Excited! X

busyboysmum Wed 17-Aug-16 21:10:08

Are you hiring a car? Whereabouts are you staying? We love Menorca.

busyboysmum Wed 17-Aug-16 21:13:32

I would recommend Cala Galdana which is a fabulous resort with a little cafe in the middle with a little water slide and play area. You can have lunch and the kids can just play and have fun and it's got the most beautiful beach really safe.

busyboysmum Wed 17-Aug-16 21:14:56

We always stay at Cala Blanca which only has a tiny little beach so probably not worth a visit unless you are actually staying there but it's very close to Ciutadella which is the old capital and we absolutely love it there and usually go every evening and sit and have tapas in the main Square where again there's a play area and you can watch the kids and they can play and you can have sangria and tapas and life is goodsmile

KatieScarlettReregged2 Wed 17-Aug-16 21:17:58

Mahon is well worth a visit. Pedros in Cala Torret is worth a visit too

thatsthewayitgoes Thu 18-Aug-16 08:55:13

Thanks all. Some great suggestions. Yes we are hiring a car. Xx

busyboysmum Thu 18-Aug-16 09:10:19

There are also lots of amazing Virgin beaches some of which you have a little bit of a walk to from the car park but they are very much worth the walk and it is usually through pine forests with interesting things to look at on the way and very good paths. I would recommend Cala en turqueta and Cala macarella as being absolutely stunning and would suggest that you get there early as I believe in the height of season they can get busy but when we go it's out of season and so they are pretty much deserted and you can often have the whole beach to yourself

busyboysmum Thu 18-Aug-16 09:12:42

Plus there is this really cool Stone Age caves place. I can't remember what it's called but it's at the Cuitadela end of the island and definitely worth a visit if your kids are interested in things like that. There are about 30 or 40 caves that you can go in and explore and it's a really nice slightly different trip to do with the kids. There's absolutely nothing else there however - no coffee shop or gift shop.

budgiegirl Thu 18-Aug-16 13:02:51

The beaches in Menorca are gorgeous, they say there are 365, one for each day of the year. There are lots of lovely little coves that can take a bit of searching out.

But if you like a big beach, Son Bou is a lovely long sandy beach with watersports and an inflatable obstacle course that my kids love. There are also a couple of nice beach bar/restaurants right on the beach.

Monte Toro is worth a drive up, for stunning view across the island.

Cuitadella is a great place for wandering about, and there is a bar/cafe on the main square that gives wonderful views of the harbour (as does the Burger King!)

For restaurants, it depends really on where you are staying, and how far you want to travel of an evening - our favourite ones are Ca Na Marga in Ses Selines, Moli de Raco in Mercadal (built in an old windmill) that is filled with locals, and any of the fish restaurants in Fornells.

thatsthewayitgoes Thu 18-Aug-16 13:37:35

Ahhh thanks everyone! Waiting for taxi to pick us up and take us to the airport. I've got all your suggestions noted... Sooo excited!!! Xx

budgiegirl Thu 18-Aug-16 14:29:20

Have a wonderful time - I love Menorca !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now