Talk

Advanced search

Dublin or Belfast

(19 Posts)
Dowser Wed 17-Aug-16 13:44:03

Thinking of going to Ireland for a mini break next month .
Never been to Ireland.

How long for and which city would you advise .
Many thanks

Dowser Fri 19-Aug-16 19:34:25

Hmmmm.
Looks like neither!

swashbucklecheer Fri 19-Aug-16 19:36:06

Well Dublin needs euros and Belfast doesn't. That might influence your decision. There's plenty to do in both.

Curlgurl Fri 19-Aug-16 19:36:23

I went to Cork for St Paticks Day. Had a lovely short break. Lots of beautiful countryside and little villages nearby

MisshapesMistakes Fri 19-Aug-16 19:36:50

Galway!

camtt Fri 19-Aug-16 19:40:37

there are lots of things to do in Belfast, including with kids if that is relevant. Visit the Titanic, the fairly new Crumlin Road jail museum, the recently refurbished Ulster museum, the zoo on the side of Cave Hill. If you can get a bit, there is the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum in Hollywood which is a big site and great if not raining. We took a bus tour a while back, fairly expensive but enjoyed it. Wander around shop, eat, it could be lovely. Bring an extra vest though, it's always colder than you anticipate.

veryproudvolleyballmum Fri 19-Aug-16 19:41:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Donatellalymanmoss Fri 19-Aug-16 19:42:53

Belfast is a great place, loads to do, good hotels and restaurants.

SolarPolarBear Fri 19-Aug-16 19:45:08

Dublin Zoo is better than Belfast zoo. Belfast Zoo really isn't very good at all in comparison to most other zoos.

Both are great cities. What sort of things do you like to do/see on a mini break?

veryproudvolleyballmum Fri 19-Aug-16 19:50:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HatePaperDoll Fri 19-Aug-16 20:18:38

Belfast. Lots to do both in the city and not too far outside it. You can do the Giants Causeway on a Day trip.

Better value too at the minute with the £ being weak.

Dowser Sat 20-Aug-16 22:39:21

Thanks ladies for suggestions.

It's been a bit of a whirlwind...we're going to go to Cyprus. Booked today.

Belfast or Dublin next year though...may drive and make a week of it.

Mc314 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:45:32

Better food in Dublin

Lucydogz Sun 21-Aug-16 11:21:30

Belfast has a fantastic museum and botanical gardens. We were there yesterday in the pouring rain, but would love to go back in better weather.

treaclesoda Sun 21-Aug-16 11:26:43

Avoid Belfast Zoo like the plague, it's grim. And is on the side of a really steep hill, so it's more of a hike than a gentle walk.

I'm not sure I'd agree about better food in Dublin, I think they are fairly equal in that respect.

Belfast is much smaller than Dublin, but the city centre of both cities is easily walkable anyway.

CathFromCooberPedy Sun 21-Aug-16 11:26:45

Cyprus definitely grin

n0ne Sun 21-Aug-16 11:32:34

Well, I've never been to Dublin but I've had two mini-breaks in Belfast and loved it. Beautiful city, the friendliest people ever, great food, fantastic pubs. We didnt have time for museums or the black cab tour of the murals but both came highly recommended. We did visit Bushmills distillery, the Giant's Causeway and some other coastal bits which where breathtaking.

Ifiwasabadger Sun 21-Aug-16 11:45:00

Been to both many times And Belfast wins hands down!

Someone else mentioned Galway, I'd also consider that, it's a gorgeous place.

treaclesoda Sun 21-Aug-16 11:47:23

If you fly to Belfast City Airport you can be in the city centre in ten minutes. If you've got limited time, that's quite attractive. Dublin airport is further out of the city, although not hours away by any means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now