Talk

Advanced search

Tips for Venice and Lido?

(9 Posts)
OlafLovesAnna Tue 16-Aug-16 16:30:57

We're off to Camping Italy and Union Lido on Sunday with Suncamp, hurrah! Although there are 5 of us going inc an 11 yr old, an 8 yr old and a 4 yr old I think it will only be the eldest and I that will venture into Venice.

Any tips/ must do / to avoid would be very welcome.

Any tips for Union Lido also very welcome. grin

Dowser Wed 17-Aug-16 15:53:29

Only had a day trip to Venice but definitely a must do.
Wanted to go this year but quite expensive with our other commitments.
We just walked around st marks square...fascinating in itself.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:12:48

Sitting on our terrace at Union Lido as we speak!!

Definitely definitely do Venice. It's actually very easy from Union Lido with short bus ride and connecting ferry. There is a 24hr ticket which is about 26 euros per person I think (instead of 19 euros for a basic round trip) which means you can go in for the evening and see it all lit up (it's just beautiful - also much less busy in the evening) then back in the morning. Was very good value.

In terms of Union Lido - I'd bring things you don't really want to have to buy then leave (oil, salt, sugar, ketchup, coffee etc) if you can fit them in as it's really expensive given the exchange rate. It's very very busy - takes a while to adjust (I was a bit horrified when we arrived on Saturday afternoon) but we've really enjoyed it.

Top tips - if your children like Aqua Laguna, at the back there is a bar called Cavana and there are sunbeds above it. You need to get there as it opens at 10 am to "bag" a bed (3 euros for each bed) but it's less crowded and feels more relaxing.

The Riviera restaurant (first floor) at the beach end of the main street is good. Blu bar on the beach (right hand side) has a great atmosphere for early evening sundowners and cocktails, then at night too.

Enjoy!!

namechangedtoday15 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:24:10

Should also have added that I have spent the morning at the Marino Wellness & Spa (above Aqua Marino - the smaller of the two pool complexes) and it was well worth it if you want a little piece and quiet. It's 8 euros for 2 hours (or 16 euros for the whole day). That's the only thing I'd say as a negative - the add ons are quote expensive (sun beds at the pool or beach (14 euros for 2 sun beds at the beach), the little rides / mini golf etc. But on a positive - the local wine & prosecco is very good and cheap!!

PerspicaciaTick Fri 19-Aug-16 15:29:23

Use the No. 1 water bus for a trip down the Grand canal, passed St. Mark's Square and out to Arsenale.

iseenodust Fri 19-Aug-16 15:37:01

Prebook online this secret tour of the Doges Palace for you & 11yr old. It is fab with secret passageways & hidden rooms. palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/the-museum/layout-and-collections/secret-itineraries/

OlafLovesAnna Sat 20-Aug-16 14:42:17

Oooohh replies! Thank you all.

The secret itineraries looks great, I'm def going to book that and the 24hr ferry ticket.

Name: did you get the bus from the airport by any chance? How was it?

We're packed for the 8.30 easy jet flight tomorrow- the older boys will be great but the 3yr old will be a bit grumpy I think!

namechangedtoday15 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:15:25

No we didn't get the bus as we had a hire car - had been to Lake Garda and Tuscany before Union Lido.

onceuponadream2016 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:18:00

I don't know if it's always on but we saw a beautiful performance of vivaldi's four seasons in the vaults of doges palace! Great atmosphere, talented musicians.
I could go on forever about Venice, it's our favourite place (we got engaged there !) enjoy every moment !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now