Copenhagen- your Must sees and Avoids

(31 Posts)
Finbar Sun 14-Aug-16 18:56:19

Going for 5 days with two teens. Really looking forward to it. I know it's expensive etc but I'd love to hear what places we shouldn't miss.

feckthemall Sun 14-Aug-16 18:58:26

Tivoli park is a must. Roller coasters and all kinds of fun. Don't bother going to see the little mermaid. She's a real let down and really tiny.

KetchupFace Sun 14-Aug-16 19:06:52

A harbour cruise from Nyhavn is nice and it goes past the Little Mermaid so you can at least say you've seen it without walking all the way there and fighting through coach loads of tourists. Feck is right she's distinctly underwhelming.
Torvehallerne market is good for food and you could climb a tower like Our Saviour's Church. I'm sure teens would be fascinated by the goings on in Christiania smile
In the summer there's some sort of festival practically every weekend so check out listings before you go.

Finbar Sun 14-Aug-16 19:12:56

What in your experience is the best way to get around ?

KetchupFace Sun 14-Aug-16 19:15:44

The centre is very compact and walkable, the locals all get around on bikes which you can hire.

skatesection Sun 14-Aug-16 19:17:49

I like the planetarium and the lakes nearby are good for a stroll.

JackandDiane Sun 14-Aug-16 19:18:40

Found this for you
www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/city-breaks/copenhagen-really-wonderful-ticks-every-5323384

JackandDiane Sun 14-Aug-16 19:19:18

i went in er... 1986 and loved Louisiana, the modern art place

JackandDiane Sun 14-Aug-16 19:20:07

www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/copenhagen-street-food-gdk911633

ThinkPinkStink Sun 14-Aug-16 19:22:03

I really enjoyed the palm house (maybe not so good for teens).

Paper Island is great, it's an undercover street food market (try smørrebrød!).

We travelled by foot and by bus.

chocoLit Sun 14-Aug-16 19:23:52

We Fricking loved it so much in Dec we took kids back this summer!

Tivoli is a yes but buy them bands and let them go off whilst you enjoy wandering round / Jazz in the park etc.

Cruise is fab and yes to seeing little mermaid from the boat.

The food hall is amazing and the glass box restaurant just outside is fab too.

Design museum.

Just soak it all up. It is effortlessly cool and am sooooooo jealous!

JackandDiane Sun 14-Aug-16 19:24:43

i think Tivoli might be a bit shit for older teens

JackandDiane Sun 14-Aug-16 19:27:28

LOLZ at this www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/nordic-noir-tours-gdk918519

JackandDiane Sun 14-Aug-16 19:28:21

* bows *
www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/guided-tours-nordisk-film-gdk791820

Leslieknope45 Sun 14-Aug-16 19:30:54

Do not do a hop on hop off. Worst one I've ever done.

chocoLit Sun 14-Aug-16 19:31:09

And we walked everywhere too. Had planned to cycle but DD1 broke her arm two days before we went hmm

JackandDiane Sun 14-Aug-16 19:41:15

adamcreen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/visiting-copenhagen.html

this guy on twitter always has sensible tips

HarlettOScara Sun 14-Aug-16 19:41:23

We were there in April this year.

We invested in the Copenhagen card for getting around. Buses, trains and entrance to most of the major attractions (including Tivoli) are included so it works out really cost effective. You can buy it for 24, 48, 72 hours etc.

The aquarium and the zoo , depending on the ages of your teens and if they like that sort of thing. Tivoli is a must...it's so kitsch that you just have to see it. Go by day and night if you can as it looks very different all lit up at night.

One of my favourite things was the Cisternes. Very creepy and will probably appeal to teens.
www.cisternerne.dk/en/auto-generate-from-title.html

The Little Mermaid is underwhelming. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

Depending on budget, I can highly recommend Cufoco and Pâté Pâté restaurants for superb quality modern Danish food. Book in advance as they get very busy.

HarlettOScara Sun 14-Aug-16 19:42:42

Forgot to add link to Copenhagen card:

www.copenhagencard.com/?ld=0&gclid=CjwKEAjwrcC9BRC2v5rjyvSbhWASJACKkjDzg9oNkZ8OIE30HC-s5KuEp3DDUMSJhAEplWa7NHPA-xoC_2Lw_wcB¤cy=eur

JackandDiane Sun 14-Aug-16 19:43:14

this looks a cool shop (recommended in that blog )

www.areastore.dk/collections/frontpage/products/pina-colada-ananas-lampe-pineapple-lamp-green

Finbar Sun 14-Aug-16 22:45:08

Cheers all - am inspired.
Thanks Jackanddiane : sterling work.

alwayssurprised Tue 16-Aug-16 13:26:11

I can recommend Go Boat, basically you rent a small electric boat and drive it around the canals yourself. The boat doesn't go that fast and does not require licences, they have a table in the middle for your picnic spread and provide blankets if it's a windy/chilly day. It was fun to see the back of the Little Mermaid!

nennyrainbow Tue 16-Aug-16 13:44:36

Haven't been for a while : used to visit regularly as a child as I had a Danish grandparent there. Tivoli always held a certain magic for me: it's quaint and old fashioned and beautifully lit up at night. The rides probably aren't that exciting if you're a theme park junkie, but they were still fun. You should be able to buy a pass near the entrance that gives you unlimited rides for the evening.
We went back a few years ago as adults for a wedding and hired bikes for the time we were there. I think they had some free ones you can borrow too. I remember cycling to a beach somewhere and paddling in the sea which was so shallow it was really warm even though this was in October.

vjg13 Tue 16-Aug-16 14:43:26

Would also suggest the Cisternes as above, a taxi ride from the centre. The Rundetaarn, for a view of the whole city. The water bus is a good way of getting up to the little mermaid.

I think Tivoli is great for all ages and lovely when the lights come on. We have just spent 2 1/2 weeks in Denmark and loved it. Kronborg castle and Louisiana art museum are fantastic if you travel slightly north.

midsomermurderess Tue 16-Aug-16 20:20:04

I agree with going to Louisiana, a good day trip from Copenhagen. It's not a terribly interesting collection (with the exception of the lovely little gallery with the Giacometti) but the grounds and restaurant are lovely. You can then continue by train up to Frederiksborg castle (I think).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now