Talk

Advanced search

Northern lights

(18 Posts)
dollylucy Sat 13-Aug-16 18:11:03

Really don't know where to start!
Can anyone recommend where? When and maybe with a tour or whale watching?

veryproudvolleyballmum Sun 14-Aug-16 09:29:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhNoNotMyBaby Sun 14-Aug-16 09:35:19

I believe you stand a better chance of seeing them in Iceland but you won't find any of the commercial stuff they offer in Finland / Sweden etc. Let me know if you find one.

OhNoNotMyBaby Sun 14-Aug-16 09:43:59

Found one here

I can recommend Reykjavik - I had 5 days there earlier this year. Great place!

veryproudvolleyballmum Sun 14-Aug-16 09:44:46

Oly5 Sun 14-Aug-16 09:46:47

Joanna Lumley did a programme once and she was in Tromso which is apparently v good for seeing them. I've been to Reykjavik and saw nothing

WottyMcWottFace Sun 14-Aug-16 09:49:07

We travelled to Iceland on our honeymoon, I'd book independently, easy jet fly there, Jan - March are best time for the lights. Blue lagoon in worth a visit and golden circle tour by monster truck and snow mobile! We saw the lights every night and it's sensational. Take a look on trivago or booking.com for accommodation center hotels are good ones to watch out for. I'm sure you will have a great time, we loved every second and are planning our next trip now x

SimonNeilshair Sun 14-Aug-16 09:50:18

Also place marking, this is something I definitely want to do on the near future, we'd have to take the DC too though...

WottyMcWottFace Sun 14-Aug-16 09:51:01

Forgot to mention when you land there is a coach with gray line to get you to Reykjavik, they also offer all the tourist trips so you can book direct when you get there x

Madbengalmum Sun 14-Aug-16 09:52:13

Sweden, in february.
Saw the northern lights and did snowmobile safaris and husky sleds at the ice hotel which was an amazing experience to stay at for a few days.

WottyMcWottFace Sun 14-Aug-16 09:52:44

This is the golden circle tour

ajandjjmum Sun 14-Aug-16 10:05:07

Two trips to Iceland - yet to see them! Did stay at the Ice Hotel though, which was a great experience - they do husky trips/ice fishing/snow mobile tours etc., although we booked them independently.

veryproudvolleyballmum Sun 14-Aug-16 10:08:01

ajandjjmum Sun 14-Aug-16 10:21:52

It was a package - probably around 10 years ago - I think it was around £800 each. Was a 'big birthday' gift for DH!

ajandjjmum Sun 14-Aug-16 10:23:01

Just checked - we went with 'Discover the World' - now just over £1,000.

veryproudvolleyballmum Sun 14-Aug-16 11:03:10

Madbengalmum Sun 14-Aug-16 12:42:19

Icehotel is or can be as much as you want. We stayed in one of the dozen or so arts suites which are the designer built larger rooms which all have a different theme. They are amazing,we then went for a further night in a warm chalet room. Before this we were elsewhere in Abisko,sweden seeing the northern lights. It was about £1750 each in february for the three nights,this was about 5 yrs ago.

NicknameUsed Mon 15-Aug-16 17:31:56

You are more likely to see them in Sweden/Norway/Finland than Iceland as the trajectory of the aurora only passes over the north of Iceland.

We went with Transun to northern Finland last February and did snowmobile safaris, husky sled driving and reindeer sledging. We were lucky enough to see the aurora.

I can safely say that it really was a holiday of a lifetime, but it wasn't cheap - about £900 each.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now