Talk

Advanced search

South of France in Autumn?

(9 Posts)
BeJayKayven Fri 12-Aug-16 14:23:37

We have booked a few days in each of Isle sur la Sorgue, then Aix, then Cassis for last week of September - anyone been? Is there anything I shouldn't miss or any other advice welcome. Oh and what is the typical weather then?

BeJayKayven Mon 15-Aug-16 14:01:01

Hopeful bump?

NicknameUsed Mon 15-Aug-16 17:20:39

We had a lovely fortnight at the end of September one year. The temperature ranged from 16 degrees to 26 degrees.

We were further inland and visited Orange and Avignon. We drove down the Ardeche gorge, which is stunningly pretty, and drove down the gorge due Tarn. Uzes was lovely and the Pont due Gard is just amazing.

BeJayKayven Mon 15-Aug-16 17:53:52

Oh, sounds perfect - fingers crossed

Sandgroper Tue 16-Aug-16 14:49:54

We have been in September and weather still great.

Just got back from a week in St Remy (closer to Aix), stunning town if you get the chance to visit. The weekly market on Wednesday is amazing (go early) got some great stuff, aside from just the usual fruit, veg etc. Lots of gorgeous little shops and had some great cafes/restaurants.

Les Baux is a town in the mountains (think windy roads with stunning views) about 15 mins away who have an amazing art show in an underground quarry called "Carriers de Lumieres" (spelling ?). It was all about the artist "Marc Chegal" so basically they project his artwork onto the ceiling, walls and floor and it's set to music. Then they did Alice in Wonderland as well for about 5 mins not too sure of the connection. It was fab and took about 45 mins, you can just wander round. It gets busy so go early or late as we did, went at 6.30pm and not crowded at all.

There is also a park of sorts with sculptures as well for free you can wander around or you can walk up to the town (easy 5 min walk), see all the shops etc (bit touristy this part) but there is a castle ruin great views.

Sorry can't help with much else we were really lazy as kids wanted to stay by the pool as it was so hot..

Have been to Avignon and Arles both worth a visit but that was 20 years ago.

I would go back tomorrow. 🐨

OldLagNewName Tue 16-Aug-16 17:32:49

A boat trip round the calenques from Cassis. Just spectacularly beautiful - like Norwegian fijords but with Mediterranean scenery and turquoise sea -one of my best holiday memories. Loads of companies do tours from the harbour in Cassis. There's also an amazing ice cream place on the harbour. I love Cassis! Oh and take The Diary of a Provincial Lady with you -it's where she goes on her glamorous French holiday.

BeJayKayven Tue 16-Aug-16 18:03:58

Good to know - and yes I need a book to take as well.
The Calanques trip is in the guide book but it's great to hear first hand that it's worth doing!

MiaowJario Tue 16-Aug-16 18:20:12

Day trip to Nimes if you can- blend of France, Spain and Italy.

Picasso lived there whilst exiled from fascist Spain, so lots of galleries.

BeJayKayven Tue 16-Aug-16 21:10:44

We have taken a car with the intention of squeezing in as much as possible, then going to the next lovely hotel for dinner wine and a bath. 🙂 Nimes added to list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now