We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Florence for Romance?

(17 Posts)
sunchild77 Wed 10-Aug-16 11:28:18

Anyone been?
its Dh's 40th and we are off sans kids for 4 days in mid september... So so excited..
I need tips on where to eat and how not to get ripped off. I want a lovely time!! Not asking for too much! DH into Art so will definitely be visiting Uffizi, but what else?

ohdearme1958 Wed 10-Aug-16 13:49:57

Wherever I go in Italy I find that eating in a Slow Food Restaurant means I eat well.

The original site is in Italian but this will give a bit of an explanation

www.casahoward.com/eng/slow_food.htm

sunchild77 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:25:44

Thank you! I'm really hoping to organise a special meal for DH so that's given me some ideas..Thank you smile

LIZS Wed 10-Aug-16 17:40:07

Accademia for David, Pitti Palace , Duomo, Santa Croce and any random churches you pass. Tbh Florence doesn't have the same romantic feel for me as , say, Venice but have not stayed overnight in the city and may be more so once the daytrippers have left. There are some lovely vantage points for views - Boboli Gardens and a trip out of Fiesole.

NotCitrus Wed 10-Aug-16 18:56:10

Wander down past the last bridge from the town centre, and find some excellent local restaurants, especially across the river. If it's packed with Italians it'll be good. And up to Boboli Gardens and to Fiesole.

Pitti Palace - the junkyard of art all squeezed in tastelessly, according to DP and I couldn't argue. Duomo and Accademicia wonderful, and just exploring side streets and shopping, but the evening meals were the romantic bit for us, with moonlight strolls along the river to digest afterwards!

Thesunrising Wed 10-Aug-16 19:02:55

A visit to a wine bar called Volpe e L'uva at one end of the Ponte Vechio is a must. Great wine by the glass and lots of lovely bits of snacky food - plates of cured meats, tomatoes, cheese and bread. They have an English language website for exact directions.

concertplayer Wed 10-Aug-16 22:11:27

There are usually long queues to get into the Uffizi. We got up at the crack
of dawn and then took turns while the other popped off for a quick brekkie
Another good time to get in is about an hour or two before closing

LIZS Wed 10-Aug-16 22:15:49

You can prebook the Uffizzi, Accademia and others in advance so you skip the queue and go straight to security, but do so before you travel as they sell out a few days beforehand. Don't pay the touts when you go to queue up as they charge a premium on top of face value. We queued up for about hour and half for each without a booking.

ohdearme1958 Thu 11-Aug-16 06:15:46

Dont forget the statue of David in the Accademia

And yes. Skip the line tickets to everything you got to visit. I use the Expedia website. Its easier than some of the websites relevant to a particular attraction.

ohdearme1958 Thu 11-Aug-16 06:17:17

Sorry, I just notices another poster mentioned The Accademia.

sunchild77 Thu 11-Aug-16 10:21:38

oh wow great tip smile Thank you all so much! This is me and Dhs's first time abroad alone since having kids 11 years ago so very excited! grin

fruityb Thu 11-Aug-16 10:23:36

We pre booked Uffizi and were straight in. It's totally stunning and there's enough to just wander round. Eat off the beaten track as well. So jealous I loved Florence.

Ladybirdturd Thu 11-Aug-16 10:27:32

I love Florence dh and I had a lovely week there pre dc.
My best tip would be to book a trip to sienna it is gorgeous.

ohdearme1958 Thu 11-Aug-16 17:03:41

OP - correction. I use Viator.

God knows who Expedia is.

Sorry.

Ancienchateau Thu 11-Aug-16 18:25:51

Around the Basilica do Santo Spirito is great for eating and drinking. Fabulous icecream at Gelato Santa Trinita.

MiddleClassProblem Thu 11-Aug-16 18:28:07

Just came on to say it's my favourite city. So relaxed, beautiful architecture, amazing food and welcoming people. I can't remember anywhere I went but you will have a lovely time where ever!

sunchild77 Fri 12-Aug-16 12:30:35

Ahh thank you all. I can't wait!gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now