Somewhere nice with a lake and hills and stuff?

(21 Posts)
StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Fri 05-Aug-16 08:21:46

Not too far away (D2 hates flying). But far enough that it is more likely to not rain.

Maybe a lake, walks, bikes, boats but not that organised sport stuff.

Any suggestions?

PalacePalacePalace Fri 05-Aug-16 08:31:57

Would France be an option? Haute Vienne or the dordogne.

Lac videix has a campsite and some gites /chalets I think. Lovely lake for swimming with pedalos and small sailing school. Lots of brits but in a not very touristy way. Lovely walks and good easy road cycling.

Flights to limoges are just over an over from London. I think you can also fly from Bristol and eaSt Midlands. You'd need to hire a car though.

Or further into the dordogne for river swimming, canoeing etc.

StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Fri 05-Aug-16 08:34:55

Definitely an option. Thanks.
This is planning ahead for next year. D2 has Aspergers so need military planning.

Footle Fri 05-Aug-16 08:37:16

Not too far away from where ?

Alicekeach Fri 05-Aug-16 08:38:20

Austria. The countryside round Salzburg has lakes and mountains. Google Wolfgangsee or Attersee and you'll see. It's stunning! Flight would be a couple of hours or you can drive there from Calais in about 12 hours.

PotteringAlong Fri 05-Aug-16 08:38:33

the Lake District fulfills all the requirements. Does it have to be abroad?

Footle Fri 05-Aug-16 09:48:40

But it may be abroad to the OP. We have no idea where s/he lives.

vitaminC Fri 05-Aug-16 10:07:36

How about Annecy in tje French Alps?
Beautiful lake with beaches, surrounded by mountains and just a shortish drive from Geneva airport.

StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Fri 05-Aug-16 10:08:31

Not too far from the UK. I know there's beautiful places Here But I've had too many cold and wet holidays in the UK.

PalacePalacePalace Fri 05-Aug-16 13:46:21

Ah. Military precision. I can empathise a little.

Its a very easy place to be and very little changes year to year. I often go with a family member who needs clear plans and structure and quiet time away from crowds and it suits us perfectly.

I know the area well so feel free to pm if you want to know anything specific.

campervan07 Fri 05-Aug-16 13:56:41

I am not sure if it's too far but Lake Bled in Slovenia and the surrounding area was beautiful and cheaper than Austria, Switzerland etc. There are a few campsites on or near the lake and you can swim in the lake. It's not deserted though but not heaving like some resorts, at least not when I went.

bookbook Fri 05-Aug-16 13:59:24

The Picos de Europa in Northern Spain . We went a few years ago, and it was wonderful

dairyfarmerswife Fri 05-Aug-16 14:05:43

Just on our way back from the French Alps. Flew Heathrow to Lyon, it's about 1 hr 40 mins. Then a two hour drive to Courchevel. We stayed in the Mercure in Courchevel 1850 (Courchevel is over about three levels) there is quite a lot of accommodation still open in the summer. Lots going on including the ski lifts being open, walking, mountain biking, horse riding, segways, archery. They do a lot to attract summer tourists. Lake Annecy is about 1 hour away. The mountains are beautiful, lots of wild flowers and butterflies. Had lovely warm weather, mid twenties all week. Not mega cheap to eat out but certainly reasonable.

midsomermurderess Wed 17-Aug-16 18:14:37

Slovenia has all that. Pretty Lake Bled, lovely Ljlubjana, rivers where you can go kayaking, castles, hills, mountains. It even has a small bit on the Adriatic coast. It is not a long flight from the UK and pretty reasonable in terms of other EU countries in terms of cost.

midsomermurderess Wed 17-Aug-16 18:16:13

Oh, cross-post with camper.

SpidersFromMars Wed 17-Aug-16 18:16:35

Lake Garda, Italy, is beautiful!

IkaBaar Wed 17-Aug-16 18:21:34

We loved Slovenia like previous posters- we went to Bohinj quieter than Bled. More walks on your doorstep and the lake is hot enough to swim in at the end of summer. You can get the bus to Bled/ Ljubljana. Everyone speaks English and it is cheaper than the Alps/ Italian lakes.

imsorryiasked Wed 17-Aug-16 19:03:33

Umbria. Fly to Pisa and then drive down to Lake Trasemino.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Wed 17-Aug-16 19:08:03

OK- This doesn't fit your description exactly because it might rain but how about Loch Morlich? Absolutely stunning scenery, a beach on a lake, woodland walks, rental of canoes, kayaks and other watersports equiptment.
We went this year and it was fantastic!

noramum Thu 18-Aug-16 16:00:32

Germany:
Möritz in the North-East but it will be without hills. Similar Eutin in Schleswig-Holstein, also just under 1 hour from the Baltic Sea and 2 hours max from Hamburg

Chiemsee in Bavaria

Lake Constance

But you will have the issue that it is not sun-proof

noramum Thu 18-Aug-16 16:01:51

Sorry, it is Müritz in Mecklenburg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now