Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere warm in October - 1 week

(19 Posts)
BikeGeek Thu 04-Aug-16 20:39:32

We're looking to go away somewhere warmish the first week in October. Somewhere quiet, just to relax. Before I go to the tried and tested (Tenerife/Maderia) is there anywhere else I should consider?

BarbaraofSeville Fri 05-Aug-16 09:50:55

Playa Blanca, Lanzarote. Lots of love for it on this thread.

List I posted in response to someone's comment that there was nothing to do confused

Volcano national park
Caves
boat trips to neigbouring islands or just other areas of the island, glassbottom boats etc
visit small inland traditional towns
walking, cycling
Cesar Manrique house
Cactus garden
water park
vineyards
Camel rides
Massive Sunday Market in Teguise, if that's your thing
Eating/drinking/tapas etc
beach and watersports like diving, snorkelling, jetskis
Visit main town Arricife
Kids stuff like playparks etc
Airport museum.

LizzieMacQueen Fri 05-Aug-16 09:52:45

Menorca is nice. Small and quiet at that time of year. Check the sea water temperatures though of wherever you go as that can have a big impact.

BikeGeek Fri 05-Aug-16 12:38:53

is menorca guaranteed to be warm in October

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Fri 05-Aug-16 13:00:08

Is the Algarve warm in October?

welshweasel Fri 05-Aug-16 13:02:07

We are going to Gozo. Been lots, it's beautiful, quiet, enough to do if you want. Cheap flights and plentiful cheap accommodation.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 05-Aug-16 13:12:37

Ooh, we're also going to Gozo the first week in October weasel. We're mainly going to scuba dive but only planning to do that for 3/4 days and the rest of the time will hopefully have a couple of trips out like have a day in the main city in middle of the island and maybe visit some other beaches.

We've already dived at Comino and the Blue Grotto/Inland Sea and plan to do both of those again.

Hopefully it will still be hot enough for a bit of lazing in the sun too.

welshweasel Fri 05-Aug-16 13:25:54

Yes we go to dive hence usually doing may/October to avoid the hordes! Since having DS we have to take it in turns to dive but it's a nice enough place to hang out whilst the other dives. Looking forward to significantly warmer water in October than we had in May!

bazingasheldon Fri 05-Aug-16 13:30:40

Algarve, beautiful in October. I have been many times, temperature often hitting 30, with the possibility of light rain but nothing that lasts too long.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Fri 05-Aug-16 13:32:22

Cyprus, we had our honeymoon there in October a few years ago and it was lovely

ItsLikeSputnik Fri 05-Aug-16 13:38:51

We go to Menorca fairly regularly and a couple of years back we decided to go for a short break at the end of September. The temperature struggled to get above 20; the kids went in the pool, but it was too chilly for us. Also, many of the resorts are not year round. We were at Cala n Bosch and restaurants etc had started closing down for the winter.
Lanzarote would be lovely in October.

BikeGeek Fri 05-Aug-16 13:41:47

I like the thought of Malta/Gozo. We've always mentioned going but never been the right time of year. Any particular recommendations?

We like quiet, out the way places. Normally do airbnb or villa and arrange flights separately.

welshweasel Fri 05-Aug-16 18:39:57

We usually stay in xlendi bay. There are loads of apartments and farmhouses on owners direct, very cheap. Car hire is cheap (usually about £120 for the week). Fly into Malta, pick up car and drive 40 mins to ferry, which takes about 25 mins then it's a 10 minute drive to xlendi the other side. We like it there as there's a dozen or so good waterside restaurants and a small supermarket and not a lot else. Nowhere is far to drive to on Gozo and there are some nice secluded coves and lots of nice fish restaurants to stop at for lunch.

rookiemere Sat 06-Aug-16 11:34:36

The reason the tired and tested is popular is because the temperature is generally perfect at that time of the year.
If you want unpopulated, rural Tenerife, then I've heard that the North is fantastic - Puerto de la Cruz, not been there ourselves though.

BikeGeek Sat 06-Aug-16 22:05:53

When I said tried and tested I meant personally as we've been there quite a few times so was thinking we should consider somewhere else

SealSong Sat 06-Aug-16 22:19:04

Many people go to Crete in October, it can still be very warm then but you take the risk of autumnal weather. I think it's a gamble anywhere in the Med to be honest in October. What about Cape Verde?

juneau Thu 11-Aug-16 18:13:38

Cyprus - apparently its mid-high 20s right through the end of Oct. I'm sure you could find somewhere quiet and peaceful to stay - its a big island.

midsomermurderess Thu 11-Aug-16 20:48:25

I've been to Gozo in October too. It is very quiet and while the weather can be quite unsettled it was mostly hot and sunny.

NoMoreParades Mon 15-Aug-16 00:38:31

Agadir in Morocco?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now