Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got any great ideas for Feb family holiday for my parents 50th?

(8 Posts)
SJane45S Wed 03-Aug-16 06:37:20

Can anyone help on this?! It's my parents 50th in Feb 2018 and my Dads already started planning this. Very kindly they want to pay for us all (my sister and I, husbands, my smallest age 8) to celebrate with them.
I'm not sure of their budget (not my business!) but I imagine it will be EasyJet flights and 3/4 star hotels rather than package/luxury.
At the moment I'm getting a large volume of emails from my Dad who seems to be getting his knickers in a twist over this! Choices of where to go are limited by the following:
- my Dad is in very stable remission from cancer but the treatment has left him needing the loo all the time and journey time has to be max 4 hours.
- They want somewhere warm, ideally warm enough to swim!

We're all pretty well travelled so there's a few definite no's! La Palma is my Dads current fave! Tenerife and Lanzarote are no's - they've had timeshares and been to both loads. Egypt and Turkey are also out as is Morocco (they didn't like it).

So - any great suggestions very much welcome! Have thought of Gambia (unsure of flight times and £ though) and Cape Verde (although is there much there?).

Dowser Wed 03-Aug-16 14:31:00

Oh god February anniversaries...shudders.
My birthday is in February :-(
Shorthaul with a modicum of heat is Egypt or canaries I would think.
Unless you go somewhere more exotic like Dubai etc but that's 7 hour flight.
Some have said cap verde is nice.
I'd have a snail party in febfor family and do the holiday in may when there's more choice.

Dowser Wed 03-Aug-16 14:32:24

Small party even.

Dowser Wed 03-Aug-16 14:35:08

If he's adamant on a feb holiday and swim in the sea I think it's got to be the middle east.

I'd go for 5 days in Dubai. Weather perfect then.my exh lived there and winter was the nicest time.
You could do a Norwegian cruise where you had a nice warm boat to retreat too.

SJane45S Wed 03-Aug-16 15:48:49

Thanks both for your suggestions. Wouldn't mind Oman but we lived as family for 6 years in Dubai when I was a teenager before it became the Middle Eastern Vegas and none of us really fancy going back at all. Agree, Feb is a pig if you don't want to travel far or spend a fortune!

BarbaraofSeville Thu 04-Aug-16 10:35:46

If you're strictly limited by flight time, might it be better to go later in the year?

I know he wants to celebrate his birthday with a nice holiday, but I think there's only the Canaries that have any chance of being nice weather and are within 4 hours, and that's assuming you are in the south of England - it's closer to 5 hours from where we are further up north.

Or if he is set on on his actual birthday, what about somewhere where the swimming is indoors - Center Parcs or a similar resort or spa hotel?

BarbaraofSeville Thu 04-Aug-16 10:37:48

Forgot to say, we have been to Lanzarote in February and the weather wasn't great and the sea was freezing. They said it wasn't typical and we have also been to Tenerife in January and that was a lot better - but it probably is hit and miss at that time of year.

Hersetta427 Thu 04-Aug-16 14:27:28

eek, the only places where I have swan in the sea at that time of year are much further away (unless they reconsider Egypt). Cape verde is lovely and warm but it is very much a lotel based holiday with nothing much outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now