Talk

Advanced search

Greek islands - mid/late Sept - with 2.5 year old. Where would you go?

(18 Posts)
FiddleFigs Wed 27-Jul-16 14:49:35

Just that really. Especially keen on a beach (pref sandy). Don't mind whether it's a hotel/b&b/villa/apt. I've never been to Greece before, but desperately need a week in the warm and for various reasons we can't get away before mid Sept.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

hollieberrie Wed 27-Jul-16 14:53:11

Kefalonia? I love it there. No kids though - we go to the north - lovely beaches but pebbly. It's sandy in the south -Lassi resort is supposed to be quite nice and its close to airport.
Lovely island - Food nice, people friendly, weather great. Shouldn't be too busy in September.

OnyK Wed 27-Jul-16 20:04:56

What sort of places do you like?
We usually holiday in Greece so have plenty of recommendations!

FiddleFigs Wed 27-Jul-16 20:59:44

OnyK great! We're pretty low-key - usually holiday on the Isle of Wight and Gower. The aim is to relax on the beach and splash in the sea, with a few tavernas in strolling distance. DH has a massively stressful job, so will mostly want to laze about. I'd like a little town to potter around. Don't really want to have to hire a car if we can help it. What do you reckon?

OnyK Wed 27-Jul-16 21:26:20

In that case, you'll probably like similar places to me.
Are you going with kids or not?

I won't recommend specific accommodation, as we're happy with basic SC, which most people aren't! Take a look at these areas...all have good sandy beaches and are smallish villages/resorts.

I think you'd like Skiathos. We stayed in Troulos, but most villages are off the 'main' road which runs with a bus route from one end of the island to the other. Skiathos town is nice to potter around (the harbour is featured in Mamma Mia).

On Corfu we liked San Stefanos, Arillas and Ag Gordios. Corfu town is also worth visiting and there 's a good day trip to Erikousa island.
If you're not travelling with young kids then Vasilikos on Zante is lovely and relaxing. We were the only Brits there and I can recommend accommodation there if you're interested.

We stayed in Lassi, Kefalonia, but not a lot of character to the resort.

OnyK Wed 27-Jul-16 21:27:52

Just re-read your post...all those areas would be great with a toddler, except Vasilikos.

Makemineacabsauv Wed 27-Jul-16 23:46:28

I agree with Troulos or any of the beach resorts on Skiathos. Another resort on Corfu to co sided is Roda which is exceptionally child friendly. Beach is toddler proof and there are lovely bars and restaurants along with loads of shops - tat shops, local shops, a couple of random local charity/new shops and a lovely wee soap factory where they sell there stuff in a great wee shop. Dead handy for other resorts and Corfu town. As pp said I won't recommend particular places as we stay in very basic sc accommodation where a 2 bedroom apartment (option of AC and gas pool with pool bar, pool table, bbqs etc) cost e400 fir 2 weeks in July. Not to everyone's tastes but we like it!

Thesunrising Wed 27-Jul-16 23:51:38

Corfu, Louis Family Resort. All inclusive, great staff, good pools for toddlers, a Lidl under 10 mins walk away, public buses within 5 mins walk to get you to Corfu Town and really importantly only a 20 minute transfer from the airport. Oh and a crèche for under 3s that is very well priced and in lovely air conditioned building. It's a very easy holiday.

FiddleFigs Thu 28-Jul-16 13:08:18

brilliant! thank you all for your suggestions - really helpful. I'm off to do some research.

Grausse Thu 28-Jul-16 18:55:37

Mid September I might look a little further south as the Ionians start to get a little rain then. Crete or Rhodes perhaps.

FiddleFigs Fri 29-Jul-16 10:19:46

Grausse - thanks for the tip!

NicknameUsed Sat 30-Jul-16 22:45:52

Arillas in Corfu. We went at the end of September and liked it so much we went back the next year.

waitinglistquery Sat 30-Jul-16 22:58:22

We went to the Vasilikos peninsula on Zante with a toddler and a newborn and loved it. Gorgeous sandy beach at Gerakas (sp?) which our 2-year-old loved. Laid back tavernas and friendly people. We stayed in a cottage but I remember talking to some other Brits who were staying in some very child friendly villas just near Gerakas beach. Can't remember the name though sorry! We went in late September/ early October and the weather and sea temperature were ideal.

waitinglistquery Sat 30-Jul-16 23:03:42

Just googled and it was Periyali Villas. Need a big budget though - more than we could afford 😀

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 01-Aug-16 19:08:22

We went to Roda on Corfu last year and it was lovely. The beach is sandy and there are lots of little restaurants and shops. It is great for children.

Eviesmummy2011 Tue 02-Aug-16 21:34:29

Alykanas or Alykes on Zakynthos are lovely resorts. Very sandy beaches, Child friendly taverna's and restaurants ( I know I go every year with my little girl). We are going there again on the 18th of September. Can't wait.

FiddleFigs Wed 03-Aug-16 12:11:02

Perfect! thanks everyone. V much like the look/sound of Zakynthos/Zante - will investigate further. Eviesmummy - maybe see you there wink

Eviesmummy2011 Wed 28-Sep-16 11:27:44

Hi.. just wondering if you went to Zakynthos, in the end? My little girl and I came back on Sunday and had a wonderful time :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now