Talk

Advanced search

Algarve recommendations

(13 Posts)
goodnightmoon79 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:06:29

Looking for advice on the best resort/area to stay in for family of 5 including a disabled 4 year old, reasonably feral toddler and a new baby!

We're looking at renting a villa but need recommendations for somewhere ideally within walking distance of beach, not too hilly (wheelchair to push..), reasonable access to a good supermarket (complicated medical diet to fulfill...) and a few local restaurants accessible on foot. We will have a car so can be a bit flexible.

Any suggestions would be great. Google is frying my brain..!

OnyK Sun 24-Jul-16 20:36:29

Alvor is fairly flat with a great boardwalk. I think some of the streets are cobbled though and I'm not sure about beach access.

ivykaty44 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:39:48

Lagos is flat, you can walk to the beac from the marina side, there are supermarkets

ivykaty44 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:45:08

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/central-lagos/5797174

This area of the town as it's flat and walking distance to everything.

The train station is here and does go as far as faro

Notthisnotthat Sun 24-Jul-16 20:45:40

Following, as I'm in a similar position.

We've been to Alvor before but stayed out at Prainha Clube, and used local transport to get about. We now have an 18 month old and my parents coming. We've looked at Carvoeiro, Praia de Rocha but not seen anything that catches our eye.

Cam I ask where you are hoping to stay in Alvor?

ivykaty44 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:47:00

The villa states not for wheelchair users though, but it's that area that would be a good location for your list of requirments

goodnightmoon79 Mon 25-Jul-16 08:53:25

Thanks for the suggestions. Hadn't looked at Alvor so will do a bit of research. Wondered if Lagos might be a bit busy although we are planning to go late September so probably less of an issue.

No1HolidayPlanner Mon 25-Jul-16 10:34:36

I love Alvor.. We stayed in an apartment at Alto Club.. Private rental.. I think there are villas on the complex as wellsmile

OnyK Mon 25-Jul-16 16:28:13

I wonder if this may help?
I've remembered that there are a few sloping/hilly roads in Alvor, so definitely not completely flat. Monte Gordo might be better?

PurpleAlerts Mon 01-Aug-16 15:08:19

Praia da Luz is a fairly accessible resort. There are loads of restaurants in the main part of town, two decent supermarkets ( and several larger a short drive away. ) there is a slope down onto the beach and board walks across parts of it. If you stay in Montinhos Luz then there is a bit of a hill to push up but there are villas near the beach in the main part of the village.

CoolioAndTheGang Mon 01-Aug-16 15:39:30

Prainha Clube is fab, I think they have a lift down to the beach there, but it is a little remote so you would need to get taxis everywhere which can add up. A lot of The Algarve is hilly and has steps up and down to the beach. We were there last year and had a double buggy with us and found it hard to get around (footpaths uneven and badly planned for pedestrians and wheelchair users, even some places had steps between the road and ramps). You can have a look on google street maps to see the general areas around the area. Check out trip advisor too because it is good to get feedback from people who have already been there. Vilamoura is lovely but can be expensive for eating out and accommodation can be very expensive to be near the centre. Monte Gordo might be better because it is meant to be flatter, but I think you need to take a boat to get to the beaches and from reviews online, it seems a lot are naturist beaches so I'm not sure how suitable they would be for families

imtonystark01 Tue 16-Aug-16 10:37:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PurpleAlerts Wed 17-Aug-16 23:50:48

I also saw something you can hire from the water sports
Places on Luz beach today which is a sort of beach wheel chair. It has large wheels for going over the sand and these are obviously bouyant as it floats in the sea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now