Talk

Advanced search

Duinrell tips?

(12 Posts)
Ikeameatballs Sun 24-Jul-16 17:17:15

Off to Duinrell soon. It gets good reviews by mumsnetters so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the holiday? Flying to Amsterdamn and then driving to Duinrell. 2 children aged 10 and 6.

Ikeameatballs Mon 25-Jul-16 07:00:29

Bumping

Makemineacabsauv Tue 26-Jul-16 01:46:51

Don't eat main meals in duinrell, walk into town for fab meals.

No1HolidayPlanner Tue 26-Jul-16 10:02:02

We loved it.. Only there for four nights which wasn't long enough! Lovely restaurants in the town which is just across road from Duinrell. Fab ice cream parlour in town too. My 9 year old loved riding the go carts you can hire. We went to pool as soon as it opened as it can get busy. We are going for a full week in October half term so can't wait to explore more. Enjoysmile

Ikeameatballs Tue 26-Jul-16 12:53:38

Great. I'm looking forward to it but a bit worried it might rain, though guessing the pool will occupy the kids if it does.

mooimevrouw Tue 26-Jul-16 12:57:03

I used to live near there and recommend going into Wassenaar for meals. Me Gusto is nice, and Bagel Alley does great lunches.
There is a pannenkoeken place just outside though too if I remember correctly, and you can get savoury as well as sweet pancakes.

Wassenaar beach also not far by car if you fancy a bit of time at the beach and it is lovely down there.

Have fun!

SoHereItIs2016 Tue 26-Jul-16 13:03:28

Definitely second walking or even driving further afield for food.
Are you camping or in a lodge? I recommend taking some stuff for kids to do as the lodge we stayed in didn't have a TV or radio. Yes we were out and about most of the time but could have done with something to occupy kids in the evenings.
If you are up for the drive Efteling theme park is brilliant ( better in its own way than Eurodisney in my opinion).
There is a lovely beach on coast by DenHaag which we didn't expect.
Have a lovely time!!

Ikeameatballs Tue 26-Jul-16 13:16:37

We are in a lodge. We've booked for dinner in Duinrell on our first night and breakfast the next day.

wigglesrock Tue 26-Jul-16 16:28:52

We spent a week there at the beginning of July with 3 kids (11,8,5). Had a brilliant time, we didn't go every day to the pool. We just went to the amusement park, went on walks, went into Wassenaar, went to Amsterdam for the day, the whole week was really relaxing. We were staying in a cabin / bungalow.

Wifi is poor in the accommodation, we knew that in advance so had downloaded a couple of films for the kids. Weather was alright when we were there - it rained a few nights, a couple of heavy showers on 2 days but that was it. The accommodation was really well kitted out re crockery, cutlery, utensils but we didn't cook once self catering isn't my idea of a holiday, I booked this one under duress. We had breakfast, did something, picked up rolls, meat picnicy stuff, then dandered into the town for dinner. Some days we just snacked our way through the day - it was brilliant.

We went to the Jumbo supermarket in town a few times they do 3 tapas based containers for €5 - buy more than you ever think you'll eat because you will eat them grin.
Go carts, actual play park beside the amusement park centre, swing chairs with water jets, rollercoasters, Carousel inside the pancake house were huge hits with my three.

If it rains there is shelter in the amusement park, some of the attractions are covered - there are bumper cars, an indoor soft play, the big wheel we did a few times, including once in a drizzle.

Just make sure you've an anorak that dries quickly, shoes that dry out well and you'll be grand. We flew so we didn't have that much room for extra stuff but with a car you can always stick something else in.

Hope you have a brilliant time, like I said it was a different sort of holiday for us, but we loved it, the girls loved it and we are already thinking about going back.

Ikeameatballs Tue 26-Jul-16 17:33:54

Ooh, really pleased with what everyone has to say. We are flying to Amsterdam then driving from there. I'll be doing the driving and it's been years since I drove outside of the U.K. so feeling a bit nervous of that but did think we might go back to Amsterdamn for the day if my nerves can take it.

Will update on my return!

SymbollocksInteractionism Tue 26-Jul-16 17:53:31

We're not long back from Duinrell (our third time there)
It's about a 25 min drive from Schipol and the roads are OK.
Hire bikes and explore the local area, it's flat and cycle paths everywhere. Beach nearby and Wassenaar itself is a five minute walk outside the site gates. It's a nice wee town with a working windmill that you can visit. The ice-cream parlour is amazing and well worth a visit.
The on site supermarket is actually not too bad and fine for fresh bread and baguettes.
For food shopping use Jumbo, Aldi and the huge supermarket opposite Aldi (can't remember it's name!)
The kids will enjoy the theme park and the swimming pool, there's loads to do!
Amsterdam worth a visit but don't take the car into Amsterdam, use the park and ride at Ajax or you can get a bus from Wassenaar into Leiden then the train into Amsterdam Central (really easy and regular buses and trains)
Leiden is a nearby town and is worth a visit, you can cycle there in 30 minutes.
The kids enjoyed Midorodam miniature village which is about 20 minutes away.
It is a brilliant holiday and there's loads to do I'm sure you'll have a great time!

SymbollocksInteractionism Tue 26-Jul-16 17:55:51

You'll also need photos for your campsite passes, a good tip is to photocopy your passport photos and use them so you don't have to spend any money getting photos done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now