Talk

Advanced search

Algarve - Late Sept

(14 Posts)
Godstopper Fri 22-Jul-16 13:46:32

Unexpected post-conference trip to the Algarve.

Us: Couple in 30's/early 40's. Want somewhere quiet, but not deathly so. Near pubs/restaurants, but not the drunk Brit brigade. Very near a beach. On mid-range budget.

Any recommendations? I've stayed in Vilamoura several times, but can't go back there as too near Portuguese ex-partner! Faro is out for noisy Brit reasons.

Has anyone been to Albufeira? It doesn't look crazy busy, but a bit of life? Or would Lagos be more suited? Open to all suggestions smile

dreamingofsun Fri 22-Jul-16 16:21:57

lagos is nice. not especially quiet, but not too many nasty drunk fat brits eating chips either. if you choose wisely you can be within walking distance of about 5 different beaches. there was another place we liked slightly nearer faro - i think it was alvor looking at the map

dreamingofsun Fri 22-Jul-16 16:23:54

if you like it quiet you could try eastern algarve. eg cabanas. lots of people on here rave about cavoeria ......spelling may be wrong

Costacoffeeplease Fri 22-Jul-16 16:42:39

I live in Carvoeiro, sandy beach, lots of choice of restaurants, cafes, bars but not too big and brash

Albufeira is very drunk Brits abroad smile

Happy to answer any questions

sleepwhenidie Fri 22-Jul-16 16:50:13

I'm near Olhao arm, 20 mins East of Faro and completely unlike the other side. It's lovely, not glamorous though! Restaurants/bars, supermarkets are good and v cheap. People v friendly, a few Brits but far from being the majority.

sleepwhenidie Fri 22-Jul-16 16:50:32

Arm=atm!

Godstopper Fri 22-Jul-16 16:55:20

Ohgod, will have to expand search as it Albufeira looks lovely on-line!

Costa: Would you recommend hiring a car for a day or two? (we have five full days), and if so, are there any particular "must sees"? We like walking, nature-type things.

Adding Lagos, Carvoeiro, and Olhao to list. Think slight preference for Central/West.

Although we don't want loud, drunk Brits, some nightlife is a must! Not the kind of place where you need to take a bus/taxi from the hotel to anywhere; but we don't mind a reasonable walk, e.g. 30 mins into a town.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 22-Jul-16 17:02:19

It's up to you and what you want to do - if you're happy with the beach, pool, wander round the town, then I wouldn't bother, but if you want to explore other towns/beaches/go inland a bit you can probably hire one once you're here, at that time of year

There's a couple of nick cocktail bars here, some places with live music, and there should still be music on in the square in the evenings in September

There are only a couple of hotels in Carvoeiro, it's mostly apartments and villas but have a look at the Mirachoro Praia and Tivoli Almansor, both within walking distance of restaurants/beach etc

There is a thread on Carvoeiro in short haul that might give you some ideas?

Costacoffeeplease Fri 22-Jul-16 17:03:14

Nice cocktail bars ffs

Lottapianos Fri 22-Jul-16 17:09:01

I love Albufeira and I'm no fan of noisy drunk Brits! There was a bit of that around when we went but not very in your face. We love going out for dinner and drinks and there were lots of lovely places around. We stayed in the New Town, about 5 mins walk from the Strip - lively night life but no noise keeping us awake. Beautiful beaches and a 30 minute walk or 5 minute cab ride to the Old Town, full of cobbled streets and nice restaurants. Late September sounds like a good time to go - weather won't be scorching and the worst of the crowds will have gone

Godstopper Sat 23-Jul-16 08:29:21

Just to update: we're booked into the Rocha Brava village just outside Carvoeiro now. Looked a good balance between the type of place we want and cost. Will visit Albufeira too smile

Lottapianos Sat 23-Jul-16 09:10:18

Have a fabulous time!

Costacoffeeplease Sat 23-Jul-16 09:11:40

Good choice, our very first holiday to Portugal was to Rocha Brava in 1988 smile, we kept going back, then moved here in 2003smile

We always say we were so lucky our first visit was to Carvoeiro (pure chance) if it had been Albufeira, Praia da Rocha, Vilamoura, even Alvor, we wouldn't have come back

Costacoffeeplease Sat 23-Jul-16 09:13:00

Take a walk down to Centeanes beach, there's a bar/restaurant called O Stop with tables overlooking the beach

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now