Recommendations for things to take with on French camping holiday?

(26 Posts)
ridingsixwhitehorses Wed 13-Jul-16 21:22:59

What makes whole thing easier? Is a canvas holidays tent.

Have on my list:

Washing powder tablets for campsite launderette

Washing up liquid

Tea towels

Bin bags

Cling film

FadedRed Wed 13-Jul-16 21:25:47

A bottle opener and some nice wine glasses 🍷

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Wed 13-Jul-16 21:26:38

Plenty of euros and space in the car for all the lovely things you can find in French supermarkets!

n0ne Wed 13-Jul-16 21:37:26

Folding chairs/table/plastic/paper plates/cups/cutlery. Tea bags (or coffee). Camping stove and pan(s). Coolbox. Flip-flops for the showers. Toilet roll in case they run out. Bottle opener.

Wheresthattomoibabber Wed 13-Jul-16 21:42:20

Decent knife. Mugs for tea.

fastdaytears Wed 13-Jul-16 21:43:14

Wine and cash

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 13-Jul-16 21:44:52

A good knife and a chopping board.
Tea bags, more that you think you'll need.

ridingsixwhitehorses Wed 13-Jul-16 22:41:51

Thanks. Is a super deluxe tent so will have chairs and tables and gas rings. But all the rest of it v helpful. Thank you. Anything else?

Janek Fri 15-Jul-16 13:36:09

Your own pillow?

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Jul-16 13:41:54

I second the recommendations for taking LOTS of tea - they only seem to sell Lipton in France. I also think it's useful to take a few cliplock lunchboxes to store things like butter in - most places don't provide those, and if you want to keep the butter soft you'll need to keep it out but away from flies. Baguette and butter - just heaven - you don't need anything else for breakfast IMHO. I wouldn't take wine (even though I love it) as it's much cheaper in France. I'd also take washing up sponges - I once forgot ours and was forced to wash a pan with dried-on scrambled eggs using just some mud I found in a flowerbed!

dreamingofsun Fri 15-Jul-16 17:33:26

french supermarkets sell all sorts of things. we took teabags, baked beans and a badminton net to put up beside our mobile. insect repellant. washing tablets don't work in all the machines

Waltons Fri 15-Jul-16 17:38:54

From the spreadsheet, stuff that always travels with us and based on years of experience!:

Corkscrew
Sharp kitchen knife
2 x tea towels
Potato peeler
Washing tabs x 6
Clothes pegs
Washing up liquid
J Cloth
2 x white bin liners
Matches
Marmite
Coffee
Teabags
Sugar

ridingsixwhitehorses Fri 15-Jul-16 19:20:56

Brilliant ideas thank you!

ridingsixwhitehorses Fri 15-Jul-16 19:21:14

Especially a butter dish!

BikeRunSki Fri 15-Jul-16 19:25:20

Tea Bags

My sister lives in France, has done for more than 20 years, and still imports her own teabags every time she comes to the UK. Or gets me to send them to her.

ChippyMinton Sat 16-Jul-16 18:19:57

Pack using the large bags for life, then use them for shopping, to keep clothes in, etc. Folding crates are useful too, but not as squashable in the car.
Towels for shower and for pool.
I usually stock up on toiletries on arrival, it's handy to have a couple of bottles each of shower gel and shampoo for when everyone goes to the shower block.
Clothes pegs!
LED torches/lanterns.

EasternDailyStress Sat 16-Jul-16 18:34:14

Lots of plastic bags.

PatriciaHolm Sun 17-Jul-16 18:59:05

Camping gas!

LilyTheSavage Sun 17-Jul-16 19:02:43

I live in France but would always pack a cafetiere and decent ground coffee plus my usual mugs. That first-thing-in-the-morning cup of coffee is vital.

Duct tape is always useful for camping though.

Have a lovely holiday.

LolBeansandSalad Sun 17-Jul-16 19:08:30

Tea bags and SheWee- many of the roadside picnic stop-off places still have the 'hole in the floor' public toilets and I've yet to master the squat and pee position without showering my knicks and feet blush

OldLagNewName Mon 18-Jul-16 11:21:12

If your kids are fussy, like mine, a tin or two of baked beans -French ones are Not The Same. But they make a great easy dinner while you eat something more interesting.

snowgirl1 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:07:41

We've just got back from a Canvas holidays stay in a tent. We took:

Matches (there is a lighter thing but wasn't as easy as matches)
Tea towel
Scrubby washing up thing
Tea bags
Coffee filters (if you drink fresh coffee)
Small salt & pepper
Ice packs and material cool bags (the tent has a small fridge freezer)
Sharp knife and bread knife
Bin bags
Cling film

What I didn't take, but wish I had, was small bottle of olive oil & balsamic for salad dressing - always end up buying a large bottle and leaving it behind when we leave (we flew).

blueskyinmarch Mon 18-Jul-16 21:10:34

I always took squash with us on holiday as the French squash apparently didn’t taste ‘right’ according to my DD’s. A pack of little sandwich bags are also handy.

catslife Tue 19-Jul-16 13:49:40

We take a washing up bowl camping in France as sinks at the sites don't always have plugs in them!
Some sites don't provide toilet roll either so it is a good idea to take some with you just in case!
Add shopping bags to your list as French shops don't have plastic carrier bags.
Wet wipes are also very useful when camping.

Palomb Tue 19-Jul-16 16:27:04

Pp have said most of my list already but I'll add:

Clothes pegs
Pain killers - you can't get cheap paracetamol etc in French supermarkets
Bottle opener!!

We've also go a bio ethanol burner which we use on our camping table in the evening. I got it from Asda for a tenner a couple of years ago and you can buy the liquid super cheap in France. It's gets lots of admiring looks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now