Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My 40th Birthday: Seeking inspiration for unforgettable winter weekend

(14 Posts)
QueenofNW2 Tue 23-Jan-07 23:12:23

It's my 40th in November, and already I'm dreaming about it. Grandparents will take the children, so hubby and I will have our first grown-up weekend in four years.
We're looking at a maximum two-night break, and want to be about 2 hours' flight from London, or 4 hours' drive.
We like old-fashioned hotels, gourmet food, historical urban sights or good country walks. An indoor pool/steam room/spa on site would be nice.
Have done Venice, considering Bruges, Krakow, Trieste, Inverness - ideas gratefully received! Budget around ?700.

lou33 Tue 23-Jan-07 23:15:11

Prague!

i came back from there a couple of weeks ago, it's really beautiful, good food, cheaper beer, 2 hrs from here flightwise, plenty of good deals about.

lou33 Tue 23-Jan-07 23:15:57

meant to add i went there with my oh for my 40th, tho we also got new years eve there as well

alipiggie Tue 23-Jan-07 23:23:53

I love Bruges it's a very romantic city with excellent food and wonderful things to see and you can get there on the Eurostar. How about this one Romantic Hotel .

Goodasgold Tue 23-Jan-07 23:24:27

Please go to sorry can't spell the capital city of Iceland.
Not too far 2/3 hours out of Gatwick. Go floating with your your loved one in the Blue Lagoon-fab.

Goodasgold Tue 23-Jan-07 23:25:58

Sorry didn't see your budget-save Iceland for your 50th.

karenj1980 Tue 23-Jan-07 23:46:25

can't recommend my friends chalet enough.

its in chamonix have a look www.antjamski.co.uk and you don't have to ski if you don't want to.

great walks, great little village town, stunning food and amazing views and did i mention the hot tub............

fly with easy jet quite cheap get a transfer plus your stay. you will have money left over and i'm sure you could have an indian head massage and still have change of £700!

I am biased though but I love it there.

sievehead Wed 24-Jan-07 20:13:39

Salzburg?? Plenty of cheap flights (thomsonfly, ryanair, ba) and lots of romantic good quality hotels - one of which is the wolf dietrich (www.salzburg-hotel.at) - going there in a few weeks so if you are interested let me know and i'll let you know what its like - good luck

OldieMum Wed 24-Jan-07 20:30:14

We spent my 40th birthday in Florence. It was in January, so there were hardly any tourists. I have also been there in November and it's very quiet there then, too. Our hotel was room and breakfast only, but it was extremely comfortable, with four poster beds, a good view of the Duomo and on one of the most beautiful squares in Florence. here

It was a wonderful holiday - a great to stand in an empty room in the Iffizi looking at the Botticellis. You can't do that in July!

OldieMum Wed 24-Jan-07 20:30:59

Or even the Uffizi...

lapsedrunner Thu 25-Jan-07 06:50:10

Rome

QueenofNW2 Thu 25-Jan-07 19:59:29

I am tempted by Italy. Florence is lovely - can't imagine it empty! Must think about distance to travel versus time to enjoy being there. Bruges sounds tempting.

Thanks for your suggestions!

cremolafoam Thu 25-Jan-07 20:03:51

went to Tallinn for dh's 40th and stayed in a fabby apartment with a sauna. was snowy and small and romantic and different
also like Verona if you're looking for romance

burek Tue 20-Feb-07 17:45:28

I know it'll probably surprise you but can I recommend Bosnia... BA are starting budget flights to Sarajevo this year and it is a very interesting, pretty, historic city. Mostar, which is a couple of hours away from there is absolutely stunning (find some photos on the internet and you'll see) and always prompts repeat visits. I'm a brit living in central Bosnia (place called Bugojno) and can also highly recommend this area for some stunning mountains and really pretty villages and towns. DH is actually planning a tours service to take people through the central bosnian moutains starting this summer. Easyjet already do budget flights to Split in Croatia, which is a couple of hours away. Safety is not a concern. The war was over 12 or 13 year ago and although you'll see evidence of it on buildings, it is a very safe country to visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now