Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where would you go?

(10 Posts)
petitpois55 Thu 07-Jul-16 15:09:25

We collect BA airmiles and usually use these to book our annual Summer holiday. We tend to book it as soon as the dates become available as they get snapped up quickly.
Our dates will be available to book for next June/July in a week or so.
Currently looking at the Greek islands, Corfu and Crete, the Algarve, Tenerife, and Majorca.
Will be going as soon as DD finishes GCSE's 2017 so around this time next year.
We just want a chilled relaxed holiday with beautiful beaches good food and places to see and visit.
I can't decide where to book flights. Any tips to help push me towards one over the other?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 07-Jul-16 15:20:43

I live in the Algarve, so am a bit biased smile

Happy to answer any questions or give opinions on locations

petitpois55 Thu 07-Jul-16 15:30:54

Hi Costa. We have been to Lisbon, Porto and Alberfuria (sp) Really love Portugal, but would probably not go back to Alberfuria again, as found it a bit Brits abroad. Thinking Alvor or Lagos might suit us?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 07-Jul-16 16:25:47

No I don't go to Albufeira and it's only about 20 minutes away!

I'm not overly keen on Alvor, the harbour area is nice but the rest is very spread out - the town is quite far from the beach

Lagos may be better - it has the marina

I live in Carvoeiro - smaller than Lagos but still plenty of choice of restaurants

petitpois55 Thu 07-Jul-16 18:27:58

Thanks. I'll check Lagos Out. Carvoeiro looks lovely, but a bit hilly, I think we're looking for somewhere slightly bigger as well.
DD has said she wants to go to Greece as we've never been before. Still thinking..
Flight times and days we want to travel there and back are Excellent for Both Faro and Corfu. Decisions Decisionssmile

Costacoffeeplease Thu 07-Jul-16 18:30:29

Yes, Carvoeiro is hilly, the benefit of that is that the centre can't be over developed like Praia da Rocha etc smile

petitpois55 Sun 10-Jul-16 11:28:36

Costa We are going to Nerja in Spain next month, which i believe is pretty hilly, so maybe Carvoeiro might not be too much of a shock to the systemsmile
We have decided we are going to Portugal, but not the Algarve. Will be booking flights to Lisbon next week. The plan is Lisbon for a few days, and then a week or so in Cascais. Looks like a lovely part of Portugal.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 10-Jul-16 11:34:52

Yes cascais is lovely - we've stayed in the hotel Albatroz right on the beach!

petitpois55 Mon 11-Jul-16 12:36:57

Finding accommodation expensive compared to the Algarve. Looking for a two bedroomed central apartment with pool is proving difficult.
There are a few, but very expensive. We don't usually boo k our accommodation for our summer holiday till after Christmas, but suspect i'll have to book way before then ..

petitpois55 Wed 20-Jul-16 09:43:23

Well we changed our minds again, and decided to go for Greece. Flights booked this morning. The times and days and departure airport were a better fit for us.
However, DH and I have decided to go to Portugal for a city break next year when DD is on a school trip. Will either be Porto or Lisbon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now