Talk

Advanced search

Let's talk Greece... Kos? Zante?

(25 Posts)
ImogensMumJess Tue 05-Jul-16 08:22:13

We are thinking of doing eat and cheerful week in Kos or Zante before DD starts school in sept.
I've seen some really bargainous deals to Kos, around £200 per person. Some pics look gorgeous.

I've only ever been to Santorini and Kavos in Corfu in Greece and we are definitely looking for somewhere that is more Santorini than Kavos IYKWIM - has any one got any recommendations? Or area to go?

I don't want foam parties and bars full of teenagers, or all you can eat English breakfasts, more a few Greek tavernas and a beach and swimming pool. Am I going to get that on a budget?!

Thanks!

Milzilla Tue 05-Jul-16 08:25:54

Kalamaki or Tsilivi in Zante both great with good beaches/food. Kalamaki next to airport so short transfer. Island small so easy to get around if you hire a car.

Milzilla Tue 05-Jul-16 08:33:04

Check out the Cronulla hotel, kalamaki - our family stay there and I just checked trip advisor (excellent reviews).

ICanSeeForMiles Tue 05-Jul-16 08:36:02

If you liked corfu, paleokastritsa (sp?) In the west is beautiful.

Kr1stina Tue 05-Jul-16 08:40:08

Kos is lovely in September, will still be very hot in August

ppandj Tue 05-Jul-16 09:25:15

Kalami in Corfu was lovely, some of our other favourites are Elounda or Chania in Crete, Parga on the mainland and Naxos island. We are going to Zante this year but haven't been before. Have a look at Jet2Holidays, I think they are pretty reasonable prices.

ImogensMumJess Tue 05-Jul-16 10:09:06

Thanks all!

weebarra Tue 05-Jul-16 10:16:06

We're just back from Corfu. We stayed in a villa near Avlaki, between Agios Stefanos and Kassiopi, both were nice, but think Agios Stefanos is more what you're looking for. No beach but lots round about.

starfish4 Tue 05-Jul-16 10:56:27

We stayed at a hotel in Alykanas, Zante which was perfect for families. Can't remember the name, but had three pools - think you'll find it with Airtours or Thomson. You can walk along to the far end of the beach and have lots of room to yourselves. We found some nice restaurants in Alykanas. Our DD was nearly four when we took her and loved it there.

OnyK Tue 05-Jul-16 18:38:04

We've been to Kefalos in Kos twice...quite a spread out quiet village along a coarse sand beach.
Have you looked at Skiathos? Troulos was lovely, but most resorts on the island are pretty small and quiet, with good beaches.

specialsubject Wed 06-Jul-16 09:56:48

As long as you avoid the actual kiddy drunk resorts you'll be fine. Check out where club 18-30 go and go somewhere else. Greece only has a few of these places and the other towns on the same island are fine.

petitpois55 Thu 07-Jul-16 16:08:13

Can I ask what the weather is like at the beginning of July in Crete and Corfu? We are considering both for next year, but don't want it to be scorching. Never been to the Greek Islands before. How hot are we talking?

leccybill Thu 07-Jul-16 16:12:05

We're going to Crete. Been to Zante too which is nice.
Loved the Blue Lagoon Village in Kos but hated the small and frankly dangerous airport.

petitpois55 Thu 07-Jul-16 18:31:24

Can I also ask, how Greece compares to Spain or Portugal in terms of costs, eating out, trips general cost of day to day living etc..
I'm assuming it's more or less the same? Went to Italy last year and found that in general it was more expensive than mainland Spain and the Canary Islands.

OnyK Thu 07-Jul-16 20:21:42

Petit Pois, Early July is still pretty hot (high 20s/low 30s). Northern islands slightly cooler than Southern ones. Late May/Early June is a lovely time to go. We're tied to school hols, and cope with the heat, but you need aircon, as it can still be in the 20s at night.

I'd say Greece is comparable with Portugal and Spain for eating out (huge portions!), but I've found the super/minimarkets more expensive, as you don't have larger supermarkets unless you're in or near a city or big resort. Best to bring toiletries etc. as they're more expensive than in the UK .
HTH

TheRoadToRuin Sat 09-Jul-16 08:28:43

Currently in Zante and it's been 34C all week. Eating out is much cheaper than Spain or Canaries. The locals say it will just get hotter and hotter now so it would not suit you if you don't like heat.

petitpois55 Sun 10-Jul-16 11:23:44

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We were looking at Greece and Portugal.We've now decided on Portugal. Greece still on our wish list for another time though.

orangjuicyfruit Sun 10-Jul-16 20:39:11

(I managed to revert back to a really old name when posting this, so am back name changed!)

Thanks for all the replies, am going to get searching!
Heat is good, we went to Thailand with dd in Jan and she managed, so am going to guess that we'll be OK!

petitpois55 Wed 20-Jul-16 09:46:27

We are now going to Greece after all. Booked flights for Corfu this morning for next Summer. I'm sure I'll be on the travel forums in the next few months picking brains about Corfu as we've never been beforesmile

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Wed 20-Jul-16 09:48:10

I'm in Crete at the moment - in a small mountain village 45 mins from Channia. It is lovely.

petitpois55 Wed 20-Jul-16 09:53:15

Sounds beautiful.

Makemineacabsauv Wed 20-Jul-16 19:27:28

We go to Roda in Corfu as its laid back with big safe sandy beach - dead shallow till quite far out. We were there with kids from 5-15 and something to suit all of them. Cheap to eat out and food Iran everywhere we went.

petitpois55 Fri 22-Jul-16 11:18:08

We are really looking forward to Corfu next year,- although we haven't been on this year's holiday yet.grin I like the sound of a day trip to Albania ounds very interesting.
Friends are going to Roda tomorrow. I will be picking their brains when they get back.

Tam2016 Sat 23-Jul-16 20:25:04

Hi
I would recommend Crete. The west is really fantastic with so much to do. Stayed in this very family friendly house in Kissamos where they supplied so many bits and pieces for the kids, so made it so easy and homely. Take a look and enjoy your holidays -> www.spitikissamos.com

NavyandWhite Sat 23-Jul-16 20:27:15

Kalamaki is a DIVE. Do not go. Awful place. Full of ' Brits Abroad ' type with millions of tattoo's.

Run down, awful beaches, just awful full stop.

Elounda is much nicer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now