Talk

Advanced search

Majorca tips please!

(13 Posts)
PontypineNumber9 Fri 01-Jul-16 14:09:58

We are looking for somewhere to go for a week in September with 2 young DCs - aged 3 and 1. Majorca looks lovely and seems like it would fit the bill. If you have been there would you recommend it?
Also where is good to stay? We usually like villa holidays but it seems like the choice is mostly hotels or apartments.
Thanks in advance.

noramum Fri 01-Jul-16 15:35:11

We went twice, DD was nearly 2 and nearly 4. We went to Can Picafort on the North-East coast, south of Alcudia and Port de Pollensa. Quite German though (we are Germans).

The area, also Port de Pollensa and Alcudia, is great, very clean shallow water, large sandy beach. Pollensa is a bit more pepple sand than pure sand though. Lots of things to do, we had a car both times and it is really easy to get around.

We had a quite isolated villa, I wouldn't do it again. We needed the car to go to the beach or into town, a more central location is better in my view. Friends rented several times in Port de Pollensa, she was always happy.

PontypineNumber9 Fri 01-Jul-16 18:36:56

Thank you. Yes, Port de Pollensa looks nice. I think that's why I am seeing mainly apartments and hotels - villas tend to be out of town. We would rather be within walking distance.

Bezza1944 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:03:35

Just come back from all inclusive but this could happen to anyone in large hotel with more than one building. I am grandmother had 72nd birthday on holiday. When we (7 adults 2 children 2&4 arrive after midnight, ready for sleep. Got to reception. Two couples with one child put in one building another couple with one child put in another building, both building about 10 meteres apart. Me at the age of 71 put in a building several hundred meters and several buildings from the others all on my own. On the second day returned to room for sun cream bathroom door locked. Childrens entertainment. My 4 year old was promised a certificate as reward for dancing by himself on the stage. Never got it. On the night he should have got it, gave up, disapointed, then in bed. I had to contact them night before we left. I was asked if I would wake him up. so he could get it. The company was Thomson Family at Alcudia Pins. The Rep didn't know about us, we never got any info. Good Things - Lots of pool especially for children although very cold. Food, lots of choice, childrens section very good.Accommodation varied not always cleaned. Entertainment -not up to much. Umberellas not many pool side. On thomson pictures it shows beach covered with umberellas - there isn't any at all. Looks like picture of hotel beach next door. Beach very good, sea very calm, good for children very close to hotel.Hope this is ok.

sm40 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:16:53

We have done Porto Pollensa a few times. Stayed in the bellreguard apartments at the pine walk end of town. Lots of apartments on owners direct. Share a swimming pool. Beach is very shallow and is a nice walk to the restaurants. All the villas seem to be further out but we like to be walking distance to beach and town. Last time we went, didn't even hire a car as just pottered about.

PontypineNumber9 Sat 02-Jul-16 22:58:37

Thanks for all the detailed info - it's really helpful. I'm going to check out the belleregarde apartments.

shabbs Sat 02-Jul-16 23:01:08

Cala Millor/Cala Bona (next to each other) are lovely. Another vote here for Alcudia as well. Majorca is a beautiful island.

IHeartKingThistle Sat 02-Jul-16 23:02:44

Port de Pollensa Is Fab - We Always HAVE A Villa Out Of Town AND Hire A Car . That way you can drive around to different beaches (we love Mal Pas) and up into the mountains which are beautiful.

Apologies for my phone going Batshit there!

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sat 02-Jul-16 23:06:10

Port de Pollensa is very pretty and great for small children. You can do easy trips to old Pollensa, Alcudia and Palma.

Menorca is beautiful, I prefer it to Mallorca (which is also lovely). We stayed in Cala Galdana, I would definitely go there again.

Maybenot321 Sat 02-Jul-16 23:15:26

Cala Millor and Cala D'Or are both nice. Lovely beaches. Cala D'Or has a great marina & restaurants. Very family friendly.
Magaluf + Palma Nova are for drunken teens...avoid.

Misty9 Sun 03-Jul-16 23:01:15

We stayed in Cala bona at the protur Bonaire with similar aged dc last September, and would recommend it. We hired a car and would definitely do so again to get around to the sights. No beach at Cala bona but a lovely one a drive away. Sa coma also looked lovely. Personally, Cala Millor looked very crowded and 'Brits abroad' though it did have a beach.

Lots to do for the kids at the hotel, and a great mini disco every night - the songs from which still get sung in our family! A lovely castle nearby for a day trip (can get name if you like).

Ooh, I want to go again!

RJnomore1 Sun 03-Jul-16 23:10:32

I've just booked Sa Cosa today - it looks lovely. Hotel is Safari Park, it's very family friendly and great trip advisor reviews. I can't personally recommend it but I'm hoping it's as good as it seems.

notasausage Tue 12-Jul-16 21:43:23

Just back from the Coma Gran in Sa Coma. Nice beach and resort area. Hotel also good. Have also been at the Bonaire in Cala Bona and loved it there. Both with Thomson Family Life who I have found to be excellent (Alcudia Pins doesn't get good reviews though as the pp found out). Think RJnomore1 means Safari Park in Sa Coma. We visited friends there and it's HUGE. They had a lovely time, but lots of Germans and Swiss meant different ways of doing things (esp dinner queues!). The Bonaire and Coma Gran are exclusive to Thomson Family Life so are all UK guests. Both hotels offer self catering and you can choose to upgrade to HB or AI for a few days if you want to which gave a good mix of going out to eat and staying at the hotel so the kids could make the most of the entertainment. Thomson Family Life resorts have a creche for 0-2 as well as the kids clubs for 3-5 and 6-11 which their other resorts offering kids clubs don't (start at 3yrs). My DD's 4 and 7 LOVED them!!! They also have a lovely air conditioned softplay room and the Coma Gran has a shady astroturf section with ride on toys which would be lovely if they get bored at the pool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now