Talk

Advanced search

Nice but no car

(8 Posts)
WipsGlitter Mon 27-Jun-16 20:49:50

Flying to Nice. Was looking at accommodation outside and thinking of hiring a car but I've never driven lhd or on the "wrong" side if the road.

Wondering if accommodation in Nice so taxi from airport and the public transport was a better / viable option?

No1HolidayPlanner Mon 27-Jun-16 21:04:01

I love Nicesmile .. We stay in an hotel or apartment in Nice.. then travel around by bus.. V cheap public transport. So many lovely places to visit. Enjoy.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 27-Jun-16 21:08:24

Me too - you can also get to Cannes/Monaco/Monte Carlo by train, very easily. I'd stay in nice itself

WipsGlitter Mon 27-Jun-16 21:13:31

Thank you so much!!! It's our first trip abroad so I really want to have a good, non stressful time!!

Any accommodation (self catering) suggestions welcome!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 27-Jun-16 21:48:59

We've only stayed in hotels but have a look at homeaway, owners direct, holidaylettings etc for self catering apartments

WipsGlitter Tue 28-Jun-16 08:42:24

Are there any areas to avoid?

Costacoffeeplease Tue 28-Jun-16 08:59:03

Not that I can remember, the closer to the beach the better, but also more expensive. One time we stayed fairly close to the train station - about 10-15 minutes walk to the beach, but generally we've stayed closer to the front

SJane45S Wed 29-Jun-16 21:24:41

We went 2 years ago and stayed in an aparthotel 10 minutes from the beach and 15 minutes from the train station. We did lots of train journeys - Villefranche 10 minutes away has a great kid friendly beach (the beach in Nice has a steep slope into the sea and is less great for kid swimming). Sanremo in Italy (about one hour 10 I think, change at Ventimiglia) is worth a day trip. I'd stay in the Old Town if it was me but most areas are nice (although the area around the train station was rougher). We spoke to an old Frenchman who told us that Nice has had millions spent on a face lift in the last 5-10 years, money they didn't have to spend! It looks like it - we had a really good time and it's a beautiful place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now