Advanced search

When to buy euros

(11 Posts)
BLACKTUESDAY1 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:35:43

If you were travelling mid august and need eiros would you buy now or wait?

BLACKTUESDAY1 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:35:59


madmother1 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:36:29

I'm holding out for a while. I go that time too confused

BLACKTUESDAY1 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:38:35

I am of course worried about the rate but more concerned about not being able to get any at all

BLACKTUESDAY1 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:39:37

Everything's so uncertain now I suppose without a crystal ball no-one can advise

Lolimax Sun 26-Jun-16 09:40:43

We're going the end of July. I just wish I'd bought them last week angry. I'm going to keep a close eye on the exchange and if it starts (please!) to go up I'll buy then.

iPost Sun 26-Jun-16 09:48:31

IMO. Wait.

No guarantees, but the headlines in my EU country are that our banking and finance markets are having a wobble due to Brexit. I'm in Southern Europe so we are quite vulnerable to shock waves hitting the euro zone. And our shockwaves in response can and do affect the value of the euro. Mostly becuase faith in its very survival, especially when it comes to the relative weakness of S.EU, has taken a battering over the last few years.

At the moment there is quite a lot of worry over contagion. Groups wanting out of the EU have had a boost, they'll be agitating over the summer. A lot of uncertainty will come into play.

Lots can happen between now and August. So hold on for now.

I'm shopping in Britain now becuase on balance I don't think I'll get such a good exchange once the ramifications over here start to become more apparent. It's far from the best exchange rate I've ever enjoyed, but it's good enough for a proactive shopping trip online.

exLtEveDallas Sun 26-Jun-16 09:52:12

Last week sad
I am so pissed off with myself.

BLACKTUESDAY1 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:54:46

Thanks iPost. I am tempted to wait and hope. I nearly bought last week too but really didn't anticipate the result

chicaguapa Sun 26-Jun-16 09:55:51

We're going away at the end of term and will get them at the last minute. If necessary I'll get them out there or use a credit card. With the amount I'll need/spend the exchange rate isn't going to make a vast difference.

unlucky83 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:02:44

I'm going in about 8 days time - just booked yesterday!
I am going to see what happens on Mon...
(I have some on a card I bought last year when the rate was at a high and also have some hanging around and I'm going all inclusive...and everything like transfers are paid so I don't need a huge amount anyway)
But realistically at the super high rate for £200 I got 280 Euros - at current rates I am going to get 240. So I'll have 40 Euros less to spend. Which is hardly a disaster on a holiday that is costing £2k+.
Current rate is no lower than it was for the whole of 2013 and part of 2014 - in fact it is higher... have a look at this
I think you only need to worry if you are planning to spend massive a house or something....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now