Talk

Advanced search

Anyone going to Greek Islands this summer? Any safety issues there?

(10 Posts)
MrsJorahMormont Tue 21-Jun-16 14:57:09

I feel stupid even asking that but just found some unbelievably cheap deals to Kos and Rhodes if we fly from a regional airport (we'll be visiting relatives nearby and could go straight on holiday from there).

They were hugely discounted and bafflingly cheap which made me wonder if there's something I don't know about. Turkey was also coming up very cheap but I know some people are concerned about security issues and heat in August. So is there anything we need to know before we book Rhodes or Kos?

InternationalHouseofToast Tue 21-Jun-16 15:01:30

Not that I know to, unless the imigrant boats are putting people off Kos. We went to Rhodes last summer (July). It was lovely but v. hot in the afternoon. We thought we'd have problems with banks being shut and took extra cash but had no issues at all.

Floralnomad Tue 21-Jun-16 15:06:01

My sister has a villa on Rhodes and is in and out every few weeks, she hasn't mentioned any problems .

MrsJorahMormont Tue 21-Jun-16 15:59:43

Good to know, thanks. DH wondered if it was something to do with boatloads of refugees. Would we still need to bring extra money with us?

I know nothing about Greece as you can see blush

OnyK Tue 21-Jun-16 16:41:48

The islands nearest Turkey have been affected by the arrival of refugees/migrants, which is putting tourists off, hence the lower prices.

Border control was tightened up earlier in the year, which seems to have reduced the number of migrants arriving.
As far as I understand, the migrants are attempting to 'pass through' Greece, as they don't want to live there, but many are being housed in camps and centres.

BTW, I'm off to Greece this summer!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36152447
www.greek-islands-travel.co.uk/greek-lifestyle/greek-islands-refugees.html

concertplayer Wed 22-Jun-16 18:39:14

I would be more worried about the midday heat esp if any young dcs
and the fact that there may be delays due to increased security at airports

wasninah Wed 22-Jun-16 18:48:04

I'm going to Kos.

Makemineacabsauv Wed 22-Jun-16 21:52:18

We went to Kos last year and saw refugees at the police station and harbour. Nothing to worry about except feeling sorry for them and their situation. There is a charity called Kos kindness which you can find on FB and who would be so grateful to anyone going on holiday to take some stuff over for them. They were set up to help poor Greek famines with school and baby supplies etc but have ended up helping refugees with basic clothing and other essentials. I think you can get extra luggage allowance if you can show you are taking things for a charity.
But to answer your question, no, there's no security issue for holiday makers and the Greeks need our business.

justaweeone Sun 26-Jun-16 10:09:22

I'm going to turkey!
Everywhere has an element of risk

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 29-Jun-16 16:56:33

My parents are in Kos at the moment and they are having a lovely time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now