Talk

Advanced search

Shetland islands - suggestions please

(2 Posts)
lovinbeingmum Tue 14-Jun-16 13:06:20

I've always wanted to go to the Shetland islands but for some reason or the other never managed. Have finally managed to get the family on board for a Shetland holiday this August.

And now that everyone has agreed, I don't know where to start planning. Its not like taking a full board room in a resort for a week.

Best place to stay? What must be seen? What must be done?

It's the three of us - DH, 5 year old DS and me.

The one thing I thought of was taking the flight from London to Aberdeen and then the ferry to Leswick/ Cunningsburgh. Nothing else decided.

Any help will be very thankfully received!!!

mummytime Tue 14-Jun-16 13:49:34

You need a hire car, and I'd book a cottage. The ferries between the islands are pretty reasonable, just make sure you don't miss the last one. People are pretty friendly.
When DH and I did it, we took the train to Aberdeen then the Ferry overnight. Unfortunately during our week on Shetland the Ferry ran aground, so we had to cancel the ferry and book a flight to Orkney (we did a week on Shetland and a week on Orkney). When we left our hire car at the airport, we just parked it with the key in the windshield (I guess anyone stealing a car isn't going to get far).
People are very friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now