When and where for a week?

(11 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 05-Jun-16 20:29:00

I would like to book a beach holiday for next year.
We can either go February half term or whit week.
February is appealing because it's always so dark and cold and summer seems such a long way off! However, the few places I've looked at online are all a little chilly in February so May half term might be a better option.
Anyone have any suggestions?

bramblina Mon 06-Jun-16 00:26:24

What are your criteria? What board basis? How many children? Would you hire a car? Do you want a villa or AI hotel? Are you willing to fly far?

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 06-Jun-16 07:25:05

Thanks for the reply smile
There will be two adults and a teen Ds so I think an apartment would suit better than two rooms or a family room.
Would like an heated pool.
Walking distance to restaurants/basic shops.
Places to explore.
Car hire is an option.
Either sc or b&b.
We'll only have a week so don't want to go too far...max 6/8hrs?
I've been looking at Ibiza in Feb but the weather is going to be a little chilly ... it sounds like it's lovely and quiet that time of year which is very appealing.
The other places I've looked at are Tenerife and other Canary Islands. We've been to Tenerife a lot and have a favourite area but feel like we'd like to try somewhere new.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 06-Jun-16 13:05:51

I think Cape Verde is reliable weather wise in February but not much to do outside the hotels.

Lanzarote? Admittedly the weather might not be hot hot hot, but it is likely to be decent enough and certainly a lot nicer than the UK.

Lots to see and do if it's not laying on the beach weather or you fancy getting out and about for a bit. We stayed here and there was a supermarket and a couple of restaurants close by or 20-30 minute walk along seafront to marina with lots of bars/restaurants/shops etc.

NanaNina Mon 06-Jun-16 13:16:22

Corsica is lovely - it's a small island in the med - don't know where you live, but we're in West Mids and have to drive to Gatwick as no flights from Birmingham. But we then get a cab (8klms from airport to where we stay B/B - but you can go and buy breakfast and lunch whatever and take it back to eat on the terrace.

The Island has French and Italian influence. It would be lovely in May - certainly not warm enough in Feb - any chance you could go in Sept? August is a nightmare! It's a relatively cheap holiday, lovely beaches, you could hire a car - it's quite a mountainous island. No idea on cost as we've never hired a car. There's a small train that goes along the coast road to I'll Rousse, another lovely place with a big shady square where you can have a beer or whatever.

The only downside is they do have a "minstrel" (don't think that's how you spell it!) which is a wind, but very warm wind, not like the wind here!

You could go on Trip Advisor which is unbeatable for the truth. Hope you find somewhere nice.

KitKat1985 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:16:31

Ahh I was going to say Tenerife until I saw you wanted somewhere different. I believe Turkey is reasonably warm in February though as an alternative.

angemorange Mon 06-Jun-16 13:20:43

In May you could probably go to Spain or Greece and it would be fairly warm. In Feb you are pretty much stuck with Canary Islands or long haul.

If choice is Spain and Greek islands - probably there is more to see in mainland Spain and you have cities/beaches/attractions to suit weather, but Greece good for relaxing and Spanish islands generally peaceful too.

trashcansinatra Mon 06-Jun-16 13:32:14

We are just back from turkey and it was great. Blue skies all week and temps in low 30's.

About 4.5 hours flight and loads of variety in accommodation. We went all inclusive and loved it; we might go again next year.

It is rainy earlier in the year so whitsun is about the earliest you would want to go though October is also supposed to be great.

Wait4nothing Mon 06-Jun-16 13:49:18

Not sure about sunny places for Feb - we tend to do winter city breaks at that time of year. Recently we've been to Tallinn in Estonia and Reykjavik in Iceland. Both amazing places to visit (iceland a little more pricey but tons to do!)

In May you could do a lot of Europe and get good weather.

We've just got back from split in Croatia - cheapish flights (around 3 hours), decent currency conversion (they aren't in the euro), and lots to do (beautiful old town, marina, mostly pebble beaches though the town has one sandy beach and there are more up and done the coast, cheap ferries to nearby islands if you want to explore further, beautiful national parks with waterfalls - could do in a hire car or on a trip, cheap local transport - friends of ours got the bus to a local seaside village about 40 mins away for a couple of pound return).

We've also done Portugal that time of year and had beautiful weather.

NavyAndWhite Mon 06-Jun-16 14:32:25

Dubai?

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 06-Jun-16 14:42:38

Thanks for the replies...I'll have a look into all the suggestions later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now