Talk

Advanced search

Airport Security

(10 Posts)
samsedge Mon 30-May-16 14:58:03

We purchased a new rucksack for our 4 year old yesterday from Clarks, the idea bring this will be fore our holiday to Portugal this year and then her school bag in September. On getting home we discovered that the bag has some bult in wiring and the front pocket has flashy led lights around its piping. (all built into the bag so can be removed). I am now concerned about traveling through airport security with said bag, particularly on the return flight at a foreign airport where language will be a barrier.
Has anyone else got a similar bag that they have flown with and did they have any issues.
Sadly she has fallen in love with it and at £18.00 i cant justify buying another for the flight without returning it first!

Veterinari Mon 30-May-16 15:01:10

It should be fine electronics just go through the security scanners like everything else and small led lights shouldn't be a problem

mrsmortis Mon 30-May-16 15:03:12

You're not likely to have any issues as long as it is functioning when you go through security... I go through security regularly (twice a week most weeks) with 2 laptops, an ipad, a phone, a couple of extended batteries, a set of over ear headphones and all the associated gumpf in the way of cables, power supplies etc. While occasionally I am asked to empty my bag, or had things swabbed, there has never been an issue.

Just go for it.

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Mon 30-May-16 15:03:22

My DS has a hand luggage size suitcase with flashing lights on the wheels. We've travelled without lots without any issues.

samsedge Mon 30-May-16 15:03:26

my concern is that i cant remove it from the bag like i would all of the other electric devices (ipods/ipads/etc) and that the cable runs to a small battery pack with two round batteries in it, it looks rather suspicious!

AliceMum09 Mon 30-May-16 15:15:26

I wouldn't risk it, I just want couldn't be bothered with the hassle if I had to start explaining!

Are you sure you don't have any other bag you can use? You can buy rucksacks for £2.99 in Decathlon if you have one nearby. Not children's character ones, but if it were my children I'd feed them some line about not wanting to get the the new school bag dirty/lost on holiday and make them take an old bag!

AliceMum09 Mon 30-May-16 15:17:18

Also, my son as a baby had a Humphrey's Corner elephant which played a tune when you pressed his foot. You could feel the battery pack inside it and the wires. We bought an alternative 'travelling Humphrey' for holidays abroad which looked just the same but didn't have the electronics!

sockrage Mon 30-May-16 15:18:11

We travelled with something similar with no problems.

mrsmortis Mon 30-May-16 15:48:20

samsedge - regs only require you to take laptops and tablets out of your hand luggage. Power supplies, batteries, cables, phones, cameras, etc. can all stay in unless the person scanning wants them checked when they ask you to take things out. Honestly I don't think it's an issue

Note - my girls have shoes with flashy heels and no one has batted an eyelid.

PatriciaHolm Wed 01-Jun-16 11:07:30

It'll be fine through security, it'll just go through the scanner like everything else.

TBH it will probably be more of an issue for school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now