Talk

Advanced search

Summer holiday, Pyrenees or Italian lakes?

(12 Posts)
brotherhoodofspam Wed 18-May-16 19:05:42

Hi, we've still to book our Summer holiday this year and I'm going round in circles a bit trying to decide where to go. We've got 2 weeks in July, I'd like to go somewhere sunny but not too hot with things to do other than sit by a pool/beach though DCs (11&13) would like at least some of it by the sea. I'm wondering about either going to the Italian Lakes, though I know it will be busy in July or the Pyrenees. I've never been to either area before and wondered if anyone had an opinion or suggestions for anywhere else that might fit the bill? Had also wondered about Croatia but don't know anything about it and thought it might be a bit hot in July.Thanks for any help.

csalso Wed 18-May-16 21:29:36

We've been to the Lakes out of season - really enjoyed it and there was lots to do but I imagine it would be heaving in the summer.

A few years ago we went with teens to the Pyrennees and we all loved it. It was lively but not too busy and the scenery was stunning. Lots of places to explore, huge array of outdoor activities, great food, reasonably priced bars and restaurants as not a major tourist hotspot in the summer and the weather was very warm but not too stifling. We stayed in Luz-St-Sauveur - which was a great base.

What about combining mountains with sea and consider two-centre holiday with Biaritz or Atlantic Coast?

brotherhoodofspam Thu 19-May-16 07:15:43

Thanks csalso. It's good to have a recommendation of an area to focus on. I think we're leaning more towards Pyrenees than Italy as it sounds less crowded. Had wondered about some time in Biarritz area but it seems quite difficult to fly to from anywhere near us ( were in the North)

LIZS Thu 19-May-16 07:21:02

Como wasn't particularly busy in August but Garda was . Also both very hot and we were bitten to pieces.

ZenNudist Thu 19-May-16 07:27:29

We went to como in august last year and it was fantastic and not too pricey. Weather wasn't too hot (it did rain a bit but we we expected that and Pyrenees would be the same)

It was fabulous and not too expensive. Ryanair to bergamo(?) some very out if the way airport- plan your driving route carefully as the lake is upside down y shape and carferries stop after a certain time. Stayed in 2 bed apartment with lovely pool for £100 a night!

brotherhoodofspam Fri 27-May-16 12:05:45

Thanks for all the replies. Struggling to find somewhere suitable to stay in Pyrenees, I know we've left it a bit late but have seen nice looking apartment in Tremezzo on Como with pool that's affordable and can get flights. DH a bit holiday phobic so planning all up to me + anxiety that he'll hate it. Getting cold feet that we're mad to go to Como in July - heat, crowds, mozzies. Anyone able to reassure me?

LIZS Fri 27-May-16 15:15:22

It wasn't particularly crowded but yes to heat and mossies.

theredjellybean Sun 29-May-16 12:21:29

i am also looking at lakes in july ...interesting to know como was quieter, any other reccomendations ?

Lovewhereilive Sun 29-May-16 14:03:02

We went to Lake Garda in August a few years back and it was busy but wouldn't put me off going - had a great time, kids spent all day jumping off a jetty into the lake. Hired a speedboat one day, went to Verona another. The food was to die for. Don't remember mozzies. Combined it with a week in Austria - was a great holiday.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 30-May-16 14:01:13

We looked at the Italian lakes but are now going to the Julian Alps in Slovenia...It will certainly be a change from our normal beach holidays!

brotherhoodofspam Mon 30-May-16 22:54:52

Wow, Julian Alps is somewhere I've never ever thought of - would be interested to hear what it's like.

Tuiles Mon 30-May-16 23:03:54

Morzine is a great base for summer - lots of rafting, riding and of course biking. Plus many lifts/gondolas are open for some spectacular walks. There is a multi pass deal that gives access to lifts, swimming centre, ice skating and lots of discounts on other stuff. Geneva and the Lake are close enough for a day trip, as is Evian and Chamonix (and the Aguille du midi).

We stayed at Chilly Powder, but lots of other accommodations are available, catered or self catering. We loved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now