Talk

Advanced search

Ideas needed! 2k in school hols

(19 Posts)
20thcenturybitch Wed 18-May-16 07:13:41

Unexpected change of work plans means we are trying to find a holiday during summer school holidays. (English hols). I know it's very late and I am going round in circles online. Considering everything from AI in Greece (too hot?) to ferry and private apartment lets in France but nothing is really grabbing me. I had a read of the other similar thread but looks like the OP is able to switch to September which isn't an option for us unfortunately. We do have one less plane fare though for same budget...

Budget 2k. 2 adults, one child (5) one infant (1)

Requirements are pretty open - not 'too' hot for kids. Relaxing for kids and adults. Access to beach/pool. Any board type. 7-10 days.

Are Balearics too hot for pale kids in August?

What about northern Italy?

Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks x

20thcenturybitch Wed 18-May-16 07:18:56

We'd prefer accomm with somewhere to sit in evenings too. Not just a single room for all 4 of us. Balcony would be the pref but at least a separate bedroom for kids so we can relax .

Costacoffeeplease Wed 18-May-16 08:02:02

I think you may struggle to find much available for August now - I look after self catering apartments in the Algarve and they've been booked up for a while now

There might be some last minute deals but you probably won't get much choice of dates/location/accommodation. You might find it easier if you look towards the end of the school holidays rather than the beginning - good luck!

Hersetta427 Wed 18-May-16 10:41:06

The Balearics will not be too hot - they do tend to get more cloud in August than most of the med so will be cooler - my blond children manage fine in hotter temps than Spain in August (Cyprus last year for example). Just use sun suits, hats and make them rest in the shade.

You may be better off now waiting until 2 weeks before and booking something last minute - think it might be the only way to get something within your budget.

SJane45S Thu 19-May-16 19:47:22

How about cheap flights to Nice, Airbnb apartment, swim in the sea at Villefranche and train trips out to Cannes, Monaco etc. It's a lovely place with a very pretty old town. The beach at Nice slopes sharply so not great for the kids but nearby Villefranche (about a 10 minute pretty train ride) is ideal for smaller kids. There's a nice old town there too.

mary21 Fri 20-May-16 16:19:29

Mountains tend to be cheaper than beaches so Alps worth a look. Lots of places have lakes and water parks. Climate tends to be nice in summer too.

chicaguapa Fri 20-May-16 16:21:33

Do you live somewhere nice as you could look at a houseswap? You could go a long way with £2k just for flights.

mary21 Fri 20-May-16 16:22:14

One thing we have done a few times is sky scanner the dates you want to see where in the world you can fly too on the dates you have then see what's available locally for tourists.

exLtEveDallas Fri 20-May-16 16:27:19

Self catering, Lambi, Kos. Aegean Houses. 2 adults 2 kids in a 1 bed apartment for 2 weeks in Aug £2078

Kos was great when we went last summer. Lambi is really close to Kos centre (£2 in a taxi) and there was loads to do. A friend stayed at the Aegean Houses last September and said it was lovely (not been there myself)

Tam2016 Sat 21-May-16 20:29:19

Crete is fantastic. We stayed in a villa and were able to explore the west of Crete very easily. Cooking at home helps save a lot of expense.
Stayed at www.spitikissamos.com. A really fabulous family set up. Would recommend it, as they have all the bits that you need, so I didn't have to pack much for my 2 girls. There is also an onsite playground. Check my review in the travel review section.

Lolly12 Mon 30-May-16 20:08:08

Would you consider a Eurocamp type place? We've booked to go to PortoFelice www.portofelice.it/en/ in summer hols, which is on the coast quite close to Venice. Have got cheapish budget flights from our local airport.

They have a range of accommodation but not sure of availability now. We booked a 3-bed mobile home and with flights/extras it's come to about £1600 (for a week in Aug, 2 adults 2 kids). Booked via Canvas and found a 10% discount code via 'what to do with the kids' website.

Makemineacabsauv Mon 06-Jun-16 22:02:13

Oh lolly you will love Portofelice!! It is fabulous - one of the few places we went back to!!
I was going to suggest looking at cheap flights from your local area then when you've got the flights sorted go on trip advisor, travel Republic, booking.com, love holidays etc to find accommodation. You will always find somewhere! We prefer basic Greek sc apartments with a pool and near the beach so usually find a bargain!

mouldycheesefan Tue 07-Jun-16 11:18:44

Agree Eurocamp best option. You can get a large mobile home so seperate bedrooms, decking area etc, can eat out if dont want to cook or bbq. Make sure has aircon if going in August.
Or Cornwall?

lamusic Tue 07-Jun-16 18:32:11

Mainland Spain

lamusic Tue 07-Jun-16 18:33:00

Also sorrento in Italy is lovely but around 30-35 degrees

KitKat1985 Tue 07-Jun-16 18:54:38

The Algarve may suit you. It tends to have a nice breeze so doesn't get too muggy. Plus it's only a 2 hour flight so not too painful with young children, and shorter flights tend to mean cheaper flights. Loads of villas / apartments to rent also and very family friendly. Invariably your choice may be more limited now but there will doubtless be something available.

20thcenturybitch Tue 07-Jun-16 19:02:03

Just spotted the updates. Thanks for all the ideas. Looked at lots. We ended up coming to the decision that we could get something nicer in UK which fits our requirements (lots of facilities for kids) and they don't care much about weather. Means we can go a bit more luxury on the accommodation as no money 'wasted' on flights. Making a note of some of these for the future though, thank you x

mouldycheesefan Tue 07-Jun-16 19:24:06

Out of interest whee have you decided in in the uk?

20thcenturybitch Wed 08-Jun-16 07:27:51

Wales, by the beach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now