Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for a northern European holiday with teens?

(15 Posts)
VagueButlmportant Mon 16-May-16 21:35:03

We want to go for around 5 nights in the summer with my friend and her two boys.

Teens are aged 13-16. They are not likely to want to go off partying - they are more the geeky computer games types! Wifi is essential.

Requirements so far:
Not too hot (teen 1)
Not too cold (me!)
No sand! (teen 2 and other mum)
No risk of terrorism (friend's DH who isn't coming!)
Opportunity to practise German (not essential)
Some activities to tempt them away from screens eg kayaking / white water rafting/ zip lines / bike riding downhill or flat only / via ferrata or similar

So I'm thinking of avoiding beaches but maybe a lake side would be good. We'd prefer not to cook but could go self catering if plenty of restaurants nearby. Happy to drive.

I've been looking at AirBnB / Owners Direct in Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Slovenia, Denmark etc but happy to consider other suggestions. They all look amazing.

Can anyone recommend a fairly chilled out smallish town with lots of outdoor activities nearby, fairly easy drive from an airport (under 2 hrs) safe to let teens out on their own. Maybe with a big city fairly nearby for a day trip. I'm thinking of a sort of backpacker type place with lots of cool types hanging around. We'd love a place with a garden and maybe even a pool, but walking distance from town so teens aren't reliant on mum taxis.

Behooven Wed 18-May-16 12:42:15

Peschiera on Lake Garda ticks all your boxes. Loads of activities nearby from water based sports, ferry trips, cable car to the mountain top, water park and themse parks if you fancy a day doing that, really close to Verona and doable to Milan (both with airports too)....The town itself is packed with cafes/restaurants etc.
We've had some of our best holidays in this area, love it!

monkeywrench Wed 18-May-16 12:49:23

What about Interlaken in Switzerland? You can do loads of crazy sports and stuff there, like Zorbing and there is a glacier to visit and lakes and mountain views. It was nice when i was there a few years back, although without teenagers.

monkeywrench Wed 18-May-16 19:15:59

I wanted to write again earlier but Mumsnet went crazy bonkers, having re-read your OP, def go to Interlaken smile

SingingSands Wed 18-May-16 19:20:17

We're off to Copenhagen at half term. It seems to tick a lot of your boxes. Worth a look? Our flights were cheap too - £100 for the four of us, return!

mary21 Wed 18-May-16 20:09:25

Sweden? We used nature travels
Germany cheap flights and cycle Rhine
Tignes France they have a free activity card

squareofthehypotepotenuse Thu 19-May-16 09:46:10

How about the Bodensee (Lake Constance)? There are cycle tours round the (very large) lake and there are lots of activities. And they can practise their German....

mary21 Thu 19-May-16 17:32:39

Acorn family adventure may be worth a look

nmg85 Fri 20-May-16 11:40:23

Copenhagen or Iceland.

VocationalGoat Fri 20-May-16 11:49:56

Berlin

Helsinki with a day trip to Tallinn or ey an overnight trip to Tallinn or St. Petersburg by ferry.

Vienna

Prague

VocationalGoat Fri 20-May-16 11:51:48

Air BNB has always been very reliable for us, particularly in Germany and Eastern Europe.

Artandco Fri 20-May-16 11:52:17

Austria. Lakes/ mountains/ spas/ German/ warm but not hot. Can mountain bike and canoe and other water sports on lakes. No sand

VocationalGoat Fri 20-May-16 11:54:26

Bodensee is a great suggestion, by the way. Beautiful region.

dingit Fri 20-May-16 11:55:58

Saalbach. Ours loved it. All the adrenalin stuff they want. Have you looked at catered chalets? Brilliant value.

VagueButlmportant Fri 20-May-16 20:01:36

Thanks so much everyone. Some great suggestions. Definitely Bodensee and Saalbach are looking good.

We're getting together to make plans this weekend so I'll update once we've all agreed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now