Malta - any recommendations

(13 Posts)
TwoToTango Sun 15-May-16 18:10:05

Thninking of going to Malta in October half term (prices seem quite reasonable). Would be me, DP and DD (15). Is there much to do for teenager? Any recommendations on which part to stay in?

Thanks

TwoToTango Sun 15-May-16 20:02:42

Bump

Salene Sun 15-May-16 20:04:25

I found Malta very boring to be honest and wouldn't go back, even with a car we drive round whole island in a day.

I'd say no nothing for teenagers to do.

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 15-May-16 20:06:08

You can't swim then, too choppy. St. Julian's used to have night life, but prob more for the over 18s, not sure. Fantastic if you like history, brilliant for waterspouts in summer, not sure otherwise, tbh. Nit really a theme park sort if place. Not sure what your 15 year old would like. Mine would have hated it outside summer.

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 15-May-16 20:06:35

Water sports, dammit!

bramblina Mon 06-Jun-16 00:44:40

I agree. We had two weeks here for honeymoon, perfect for us. We hired a car, went to Gozo for the day, did a boat trip to the blue lagoon. Found the ONE sandy beach. Shopped in M&S hmm and found lots and lots of archealogical (sp?) sites. The Mosta dome is beautiful, the driving is horrendous. I think it's one of the top 5 in Europe or the world for diving so unless your dd likes watersports or ancient history I'd say perhaps try finding somewhere else....? What made you consider it?

Hesalovernotabiter Mon 06-Jun-16 08:47:52

Sorry to jump on this thread, I came on here to start on Malta thread too 😊

I was considering it for my family DP, DD(10) & DS (2.5). DP isn't a fan of beaches but likes snorkelling, easy going trips and just generally going for a wander. I just go with the flow and enjoy being away from home.

DD is definitely a low maintenance 10 year old and just loves being away, swimming, eating etc and DS will just join in.

Considered Malta as none of us have been, we would like somewhere laid back, sunny and not too far away.

I've found an all inclusive hotel that looks lovely but we would obviously be wanting to go out for a few days, eat out a few times etc. It's near the ferry terminal to Gozo so would probably go there too.

Are we going to enjoy it?! I'm always left to make final decisions about holidays 😳 DP is up for it but I don't want to let everyone down!

BarbaraofSeville Mon 06-Jun-16 09:52:50

I suppose it depends what your teenager likes. Some do like ancient history, swimming and other watersports so would love Malta. If they are expecting shopping/nightclubs/theme parks not so much.

Malta isn't known for beaches, but there are some:

www.visitmalta.com/en/beaches-and-bays?pg=2

We visited Mellieħa where there is a nice beach and sheltered swimming area and a few nice bars too.

Gozo and Comino are easy to visit and Comino especially is lovely for a boat trip and visit to caves, walks, blue lagoon etc:

www.visitmalta.com/en/info/bluelagoon

KitKat1985 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:12:08

Hmm it depends what your DD likes, but it might be considered 'boring' by some teenagers standards. I went about 4 years ago with DH and stayed 5 nights and we saw most of the island in that time. It's beautiful, with friendly people, lovely food, and has great history though. You can also do boat trips to Gozo, but there's not masses to see there, as it's very under-developed (which is part of Gozo's appeal to some). The city of Valetta is beautiful. If you and your family like history though then Malta's a good choice. If you are after themeparks and waterparks though it's not going to be for you.

Spottytop1 Sun 03-Jul-16 08:18:05

I went to Malta about 3 years ago.., it is a love it or hate it type of place.

Lots of historic places to visit, great boat trips & my kids enjoyed snorkelling ( although not as good as Greece or Egypt).

The beaches aren't always easy to get to or the greatest but we found a lot of areas where we could easily access safe swimming ( cordoned off etc).

I'd go back again but not sure my teenagers would...

SJane45S Wed 06-Jul-16 19:19:46

I liked Malta a heck of a lot more than I thought I would - but driving through some of the resort towns full of pensioners eating egg and chips, I'd choose where you go carefully!! Hesalovernotabiter, we stayed 1 week at a hotel right near the ferry terminal (Ramla Bay). We liked the resort a lot and had a relaxing time - not sure teenagers would be too impressed by the nightly Neil Diamond evening entertainment medley though! Valletta was great and that's where I'd go if we went again. We spent 3 nights in Silema - it's got lots of shops, bars, cafe's etc - I wasn't 100% sold but it would be teenager friendly! From our own experiences with our 2 eldest, teenagers aren't that hard to please as long as there are pools, anything with chips, evening entertainment and boys/girls to fancy themselves in love with for at least half the plane journey back to the UK!

TheNaze73 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:26:21

Sliema is lovely.

Marsascala is also very nice. On Gozo, I enjoyed staying at the Kempinski

Sultansofbling Wed 27-Jul-16 18:00:27

Yes it depends what your dd likes tbh. Mine is only interested in lying in the sun by the pool all day and we had a fabulous time. We were there in July and stayed in Valetta and it was bloody marvellous, we loved it. Loads to see if you like history and loads of shops and restaurants and just a lovely atmosphere in the city. The island is also so small and the public transport so good that it's easy to get around. Not sure what it will be like in October though. I'm definitely going to go back as we only went for a week and it wasn't enough for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now