Ireland road trip - any must sees?

(13 Posts)
MyBoysHaveDogsNames Tue 10-May-16 22:00:39

Going in half term. Thinking of the Pembroke to Rosslare crossing and then a trip around the south and south west.

Any suggestions of things we must see or places to stay?

Thanks in advance x

bitofabelly Sat 14-May-16 07:54:13

Do you have kids, what ages?

Cakescakescakes Sat 14-May-16 08:00:46

West coast round Galway etc is very beautiful.

Emeralda Sat 14-May-16 08:06:40

Lots of people will be along to tell you about Kerry in general and of course Fungi the dolphin. The west coast is amazing. I'm not sure if you could make it up to Galway in the time you have available but I would recommend it. Have you heard of the Wild Atlantic Way?

MyBoysHaveDogsNames Sun 15-May-16 17:14:21

Thank you for your responses. My children are 7 and 10. I'll have a look at the wild Atlantic way.

I don't want to try and cram in too much so maybe I'll concentrate on a particular county such as Galway. If might make more sense to go to Dublin and drive straight across?

bitofabelly Mon 16-May-16 06:45:30

It's a 3 hour drive from rosslare to Cork. Highlights for your kids... Blarney Castle, fits wildlife park, railway village in Clonakilty, Inchedoney Beach outside Clonakilty. Rosscarbery mini golf and maze, kayaking/pedal boats in the lagoon in Rosscarbery. Kinsale, boat trip around harbour/ Garretstown beach/ old head drive.

Kilkarney: KilkarneyNational park/ Muckross House and gardens. Ring of Kerry drive. Fungi and aquarium in Dingle. The list is endless

bitofabelly Mon 16-May-16 06:46:01

FOTA wildlife Park

Nogravyforyou Mon 16-May-16 07:02:16

There is lots to do along the south east coast as well. Wexford has lots of lovely beaches and is very popular with people coming down from Dublin. The National Heritage Centre is a nice day out, and could be combined with the castle and 1798 centre in Enniscorthy ( where Brooklyn was filmed). The slob lands in Wexford is also interesting, if you go on the right day, you can be taken out to the slobs and do insect hunts etc.
Jfk park in new Ross is a lovely day if nice and sunny. It's got a large playground, a small maze and a huge walk around a lake. There's pony and trap rides and a miniature railway. There's a small tearoom but most people bring their own picnic.
Courtown is worth a visit as well.
Waterford has major seaside villages, tramore and dungarvan. Tramore has fun fair rides and a splash world, and dungarvan has an activity adventure type place. Waterford city is a tiny little city with some nice shops. The Waterford treasures museum is nice and interesting, lots about Vikings.
As Pp have said, lots to do in cork/Kerry/Clare. Foto is a fantastic day out. Lifetime lab in cork city is an interesting little museum aimed at children about the water works in cork, which works well with a day combined with exploring the city ( shopping grin). Bunratty castle in Clare is a medieval folk park which is lots of fun. If you're willing to pay, you can take part in a medieval fest in the castle. Cobh is the town where the titanic last stopped, so lots of titanic related things to do there. There is also a boat that can take you out to an island with an old prison on it, I've not done that but thought it looked interesting.

Mama1980 Mon 16-May-16 08:04:15

Rock of cashel on the road Dublin to cork, utterly amazing

dingalong Mon 16-May-16 22:12:49

If you've any Star Wars fans - a trip to skellig Michael in Kerry - at the end of the new film. Very limited visitor numbers so needs to be booked in advance.

BananaPie Mon 16-May-16 22:26:05

Bru na boinne is amazing. In co. Meath though, so out of your way if you're just doing the south. Easily do-able from Dublin though.

I second fota wildlife park in co. Cork for kids.

Lovewhereilive Sun 29-May-16 14:08:33

Kiss the Blarney Stone? We stayed in Baltimore, was lovely but did so much driving. I would second seeing Funghi, and there was an amazing beach we came across on the way to Mizen head. It takes your breath away.

Brainnotbrawn Sun 29-May-16 14:17:27

I would stick to one area. Either the south west coast of Cork/Kerry or the wild Atlantic Way of Mayo/Galway. The roads are rubbish once you get off the main routes so targeting too much would be a nightmare. Kerry is spectacular and grudgingly I must admit Cork has loads to offer too.

Personally I would leave out the East coast, you can do Dublin any time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now